An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists
AbstractWavelet analysis, although used extensively in disciplines such as signal processing, engineering, medical sciences, physics and astronomy, has not yet fully entered the economics discipline. In this discussion paper, wavelet analysis is introduced in an intuitive manner, and the existing economics and finance literature that utilises wavelets is explored. Extensive examples of exploratory wavelet analysis are given, many using Canadian, US and Finnish industrial production data. Finally, potential future applications for wavelet analysis in economics are also discussed and explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 0508009.
Length: 71 pages
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 71. Bank of Finland Research Discussion Papers 1/2005
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
statistical methodology; multiresolution analysis; wavelets; business cycles; economic growth;
Other versions of this item:
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Hughes Hallett, Christian R Richter, 2001.
"Spectral Analysis as a Tool for Financial Policy: An Analysis of the Short-End of the British Term Structure,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
127, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian R. Richter, 2004. "Spectral Analysis as a Tool for Financial Policy: An Analysis of the Short-End of the British Term Structure," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 271-288, 04.
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999.
"Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter,"
39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter," Econometrics 9710002, EconWPA.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2004.
"Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets,"
Documentos de Trabajo
189, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2005. "Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 57-90, August.
- Ramsey, James B. & Lampart, Camille, 1998. "Decomposition Of Economic Relationships By Timescale Using Wavelets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 49-71, March.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2005. "Multiscale systematic risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Enrico Capobianco, 2004. "Multiscale Analysis of Stock Index Return Volatility," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 219-237, 04.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:44:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tkacz Greg, 2001.
"Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2000. "Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator," Working Papers 00-5, Bank of Canada.
- Jensen, Mark J., 2000.
"An alternative maximum likelihood estimator of long-memory processes using compactly supported wavelets,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 361-387, March.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "An Alternative Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Long-Memeory Processes Using Compactly Supported Wavelets," Econometrics 9709002, EconWPA.
- Neumann, Manfred J. M. & Greiber, Claus, 2004. "Inflation and core money growth in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Collard, Fabrice, 1998. "Spectral and persistence properties of cyclical growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 463-488, November.
- Kim Sangbae & In Francis Haeuck, 2003. "The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-18, December.
- Camba-Méndez, Gonzalo & Kapetanios, George, 2001. "Spectral based methods to identify common trends and common cycles," Working Paper Series 0062, European Central Bank.
- Paul Conway & David Frame, 2000. "A spectral analysis of New Zealand output gaps using Fourier and wavelet techniques," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2000/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Mehmet Dalkir, 2004. "A new approach to causality in the frequency domain," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(44), pages 1-14.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Hahn Shik Lee, 2004. "International transmission of stock market movements: a wavelet analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 197-201.
- Vuorenmaa , Tommi, 2005. "A wavelet analysis of scaling laws and long-memory in stock market volatility," Research Discussion Papers 27/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Alper Ozun & Atilla Cifter, 2008.
"Modeling long-term memory effect in stock prices: A comparative analysis with GPH test and Daubechies wavelets,"
Studies in Economics and Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 38-48, March.
- Ozun, Alper & Cifter, Atilla, 2007. "Modeling Long-Term Memory Effect in Stock Prices: A Comparative Analysis with GPH Test and Daubechies Wavelets," MPRA Paper 2481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahamada, Ibrahim & Jolivaldt, Philippe, 2013. "Time-spectral density and wavelets approaches. Comparative study. Applications to SP500 returns and US GDP," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 460-466.
- Crowley , Patrick & Maraun , Douglas & Mayes , David, 2006. "How hard is the euro are core? An evaluation of growth cycles using wavelet analysis," Research Discussion Papers 18/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Crowley , Patrick & Lee , Jim, 2005. "Decomposing the co-movement of the business cycle: a time-frequency analysis of growth cycles in the euro area," Research Discussion Papers 12/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Carla Ysusi, 2009. "Analysis of the Dynamics of Mexican Inflation Using Wavelets," Working Papers 2009-09, Banco de México.
- Roger Bowden & Jennifer Zhu, 2010. "Multi-scale variation, path risk and long-term portfolio management," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 783-796.
- Reese, Simon & Li, Yushu, 2013. "Testing for Structural Breaks in the Presence of Data Perturbations: Impacts and Wavelet Based Improvements," Working Papers 2013:36, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Zagaglia, Paolo, 2006. "The Predictive Power of the Yield Spread under the Veil of Time," Research Papers in Economics 2006:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.