Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets
Abstractarticle focuses on return spillovers in stock markets at different time scales using wavelet analysis. We look at eight stock indices that comprise the G7 countries, Emerging Asia, Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, the Emerging Far East, Latin America, North America, and the Pacific region for the period 1990-2002. Our estimation results show evidence of price spillovers from the G7 countries to Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, Emerging Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America. However, price spillovers of these regions to the G7 countries are weaker at different time scales. Similarly, we find price spillovers from North America to Latin America, Emerging Asia, the Emerging Far East, and the Pacific region, and from both Europe and Latin America to North America. Our results are robust to the existence of asymmetric GARCH-effects and serial correlation in returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 189.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Viviana Fernandez, 2005. "Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 57-90, August.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2004. "Transmission of equity returns and volatility in Asian developed and emerging markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 71-80.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Hentschel, Ludger, 1995. "All in the family Nesting symmetric and asymmetric GARCH models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 71-104, September.
- Michael McKenzie & Heather Mitchell, 2002. "Generalized asymmetric power ARCH modelling of exchange rate volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 555-564.
- Lin, Wen-Ling & Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi, 1994. "Do Bulls and Bears Move across Borders? International Transmission of Stock Returns and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 507-38.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Patrick Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
- Silvo Dajčman, 2013. "Interdependence Between Some Major European Stock Markets - A Wavelet Lead/Lag Analysis," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(1), pages 28-49.
- Reboredo, Juan C. & Rivera-Castro, Miguel A., 2014. "Wavelet-based evidence of the impact of oil prices on stock returns," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 145-176.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.