Multi-scale variation, path risk and long-term portfolio management
AbstractMean-variance analysis is constrained to weight the frequency bands in a return time series equally. A more flexible approach allows the user to assign preference weightings to short or longer run frequencies. Wavelet analysis provides further flexibility, removing the need to assume asset returns are stationary and encompassing alternative return concepts. The resulting portfolio choice methodology establishes a reward-energy efficient frontier that allows the user to trade off expected reward against path risk, reflecting preferences as between long or short run variation. The approach leads to dynamic analogues of mean-variance such as band pass portfolios that are more sensitive to variability at designated scales.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhardwaj, Geetesh & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"An empirical investigation of the usefulness of ARFIMA models for predicting macroeconomic and financial time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 539-578.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Norman Swanson, 2004. "An Empirical Investigation of the Usefulness of ARFIMA Models for Predicting Macroeconomic and Financial Time Series," Departmental Working Papers 200422, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Roger Bowden, 2006. "The generalized value at risk admissible set: constraint consistency and portfolio outcomes," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 159-171.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Campbell, John Y. & Viceira, Luis M., 2002. "Strategic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Choice for Long-Term Investors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296942.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2003. "Overconfidence and Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1183-1219, December.
- John Y. Campbell, Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Dividend-Price Ratio and Expectations of Future Dividends and Discount Factors,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 195-228.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "The Dividend-Price Ratio and Expectations of Future Dividends and Discount Factors," NBER Working Papers 2100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller & John Y. Campbell, 1986. "The Dividend-Price Ratio and Expectations of Future Dividends and Discount Factors," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 812, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Enrico Capobianco, 2004. "Multiscale Analysis of Stock Index Return Volatility," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 219-237, 04.
- Hahn Shik Lee, 2004. "International transmission of stock market movements: a wavelet analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 197-201.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Roger Bowden, 2003. "The zero-capital approach to portfolio enhancement and overlay management," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 251-261.
- Vuorenmaa , Tommi, 2005. "A wavelet analysis of scaling laws and long-memory in stock market volatility," Research Discussion Papers 27/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Harrison Hong & Jose Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2005.
"Asset Float and Speculative Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
11367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. B. Haugh & A. W. Lo, 2001. "Asset allocation and derivatives," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 45-72.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Luis A. Gil-Alana & Bertrand Candelon, 2004.
"Fractional Integration and Business Cycles Features,"
Faculty Working Papers
09/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Bertrand Candelon & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2004. "Fractional integration and business cycle features," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 343-359, 05.
- Candelon, Bertrand & Gil-Alaña, Luis A., 2001. "Fractional integration and business cycle features," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,46, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Susan Thorp, 2005. "'That Courage is not Inconsistent with Caution': Currency Hedging for Superannuation Funds," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(252), pages 38-50, 03.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Hall, Viv B. & McDermott, C. John, 2009. "The New Zealand Business Cycle," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 1050-1069, August.
- Francis In & Sangbae Kim, 2006. "The Hedge Ratio and the Empirical Relationship between the Stock and Futures Markets: A New Approach Using Wavelet Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 799-820, March.
- Bowden Roger J. & Zhu Jennifer Z, 2007. "Which Are the World's Wobblier Currencies? Reference Exchange Rates and Their Variation," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-32, September.
- Robert Kohn & Oana Papazoglu-Statescu, 2006. "On the equivalence of the static and dynamic asset allocation problems," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 173-183.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.