Testing Efficiency And The Unbiasedness Hypothesis Of The Emerging Greek Futures Market
AbstractThis paper investigates the joint hypothesis of market efficiency and unbiasedness of futures prices for the FTSE-20 blue chip index futures contract. The FTSE/ATHENS STOCK EXCHANGE (ASE)-20 futures market is the first organized derivatives market established in Greece and its operation rests with the Athens Derivatives Exchange (ADEX) and the Athens Derivatives Exchange Clearing House (ADECH). The growing importance of this new market for both investors and the Greek capital market motivated this empirical examination of its efficiency, even though it is an emerging market with low liquidity, compared to other European developed futures markets, but strong growth rates. The Johansen cointegration procedure used to test the market efficiency shows that the joint hypothesis of market efficiency and unbiasedness in futures prices is rejected, indicating market inefficiency. This finding is consistent to earlier but limited studies in other European emerging futures markets, implying that, despite the significant role of an organized futures/derivatives market for a capital market and an economy more general, further necessary steps have to be taken in order to contribute to its efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0512015.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 23
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Market efficiency; Unbiasedness hypothesis; Athens Derivatives Exchange; FTSE/ASE-20 futures market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-12-20 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-12-20 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-12-20 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert, 1996.
"The Time Variation of Risk and Return in Foreign Exchange Markets: A General Equilibrium Perspective,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 427-70.
- Geert Bekaert, 1996. "The Time Variation of Risk and Return in Foreign Exchange Markets: A General Equilibrium Perspective," NBER Working Papers 4818, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Roger D., 1984. "Some alternative tests of forward exchange rates as predictors of future spot rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 153-167, August.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Frenkel, Jacob A., 1979. "Further evidence on expectations and the demand for money during the German hyperinflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-96, January.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Baillie, R.T., 1988. "Econometric Tests Of Rationality And Market Efficiency," Papers 8805, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Liu, Peter C. & Maddala, G. S., 1992. "Rationality of survey data and tests for market efficiency in the foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 366-381, August.
- Bilson, John F O, 1981.
"The "Speculative Efficiency" Hypothesis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 435-51, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Hall, S G, 1991. "The Effect of Varying Length VAR Models on the Maximum Likelihood Estimates of Cointegrating Vectors," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 38(4), pages 317-23, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Engel, Charles, 1996.
"The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Charles Engel, 1996. "The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shackleton, Mark B. & Voukelatos, Nikolaos, 2013. "Hedging efficiency in the Greek options market before and after the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-18.
- Prasad Bhattacharaya & Harminder Singh, 2006. "Estimating Forward Pricing Function: How Efficient is Indian Stock Index Futures Market?," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2006_02, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.