Spurious Regression and Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Panel Data When the Cross-Section and Time-Series Dimensions are Comparable
AbstractIn the first half of the paper we study spurious regressions in panel data when the cross-section and time-series dimensions are comparable. Asymptotic properties of the least-squares dummy variable (LSDV) estimator and other conventional statistics are examined. We show that the LSDV estimatoris consistent for its true value, but the t-statistic diverges so that inferences about the regression coefficient, are wrong with the probability that goes to one. The asymptotics of LSDV are also different from those of the spurious regression in the pure time series. This has an important consequence for residual-based cointegration tests in panel data, because the null distribution of residual-based cointegration tests depends on the asymptotics of LSDV. In the second half of the paper we study residual-based tests for cointegration regression in panel data. We study Dickey-Fuller (DF) tests and an augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) test to test the null of no cointegration. Asymptotic distributions of the tests a re derived and Monte Carlo experiments are conducted to evaluate finite sample properties of the proposed tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9703002.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 17 Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Tex (DVI); prepared on PC-TEX; to print on HP/PostScript; pages: 45 ; figures: 0
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Panel Data; Spurious Regression; LSDV; Residual-Based Tests.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Park, J.Y. & Ogaki, M., 1991. "Seemingly Unrelated Canonical Cointegrating Regressions," RCER Working Papers 280, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Haug, A.A., 1992.
"Tests for Cointegration: A Monte Carlo Comparison,"
93-2, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Quah, D., 1993.
"Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data,"
549, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Quah, Danny, 1994. "Exploiting cross-section variation for unit root inference in dynamic data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 9-19.
- Danny Quah, 1993. "Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data," FMG Discussion Papers dp171, Financial Markets Group.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.