A Nonparametric Way of Distribution Testing
AbstractTesting the distribution of a random sample can be considered ,indeed, as a goodness-of-fit problem. If we use the nonparametric density estimation of the sample as a consistent estimate of exact distribution, the problem reduces, more specifically, to the distance of two functions. This paper examines the distribution testing from this point of view and suggests a nonparametric procedure. Although the procedure is applicable for all distributions, paper emphasizes on normality test.The critical values for this normality test generated by using Monte Carlo techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0510006.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 29 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 22
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
distribution testing; normality; monte carlo simulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thanasis Stengos & Ximing Wu, 2006.
"Information-Theoretic Distribution Test with Application to Normality,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
3-2006, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Thanasis Stengos & Ximing Wu, 2010. "Information-Theoretic Distribution Test with Application to Normality," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 307-329.
- Thanasis Stengos & Ximing Wu, 2006. "Information-Theoretic Distribution Test with Application to Normality," Working Papers 0604, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.