Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth
AbstractIn this paper we adopt both a nonparametric and a semi-parametric IV estimator to show that the relationship between inflation and output growth is non-linear and that there exists a threshold level below which inflation has no effects on growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 94 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2005. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 0520, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2006. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Sciences Po publications No. 1286, Sciences Po.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2006. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Evidence on the Long-Run Effects of Inflation on Growth," Kiel Working Papers 1286, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- O49 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Other
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall & A.C. Barton, 1971.
"Inflation and growth: the international evidence,"
BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 24(98), pages 263-275.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall & A.C. Barton, 1971. "Inflation and growth: the international evidence," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 24(98), pages 263-275.
- Max Gillman & Mark N. Harris & LÃ¡szlÃ³ MÃ¡tyÃ¡s, 2004. "Inflation and growth: Explaining a negative effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-167, January.
- Park, Sangin, 2003. "Semiparametric instrumental variables estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 381-399, February.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 1996.
"Does Inflation Matter for Growth?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Steven Phillips, 1998. "Inflation, Disinflation, and Growth," IMF Working Papers 98/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
"The role of macroeconomic factors in growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, 9.
- Beck, T.H.L. & DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2000.
"A new database on financial development and structure,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "A new database on financial development and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2146, The World Bank.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Michael Sarel, 1996. "Nonlinear Effects of Inflation on Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 199-215, March.
- By Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2001.
"Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 1.
- A. Senhadji Semlali & Mohsin S. Khan, 2000. "Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth," IMF Working Papers 00/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Ruth Judson & Athanasios Orphanides, 1996.
"Inflation, volatility and growth,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
96-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- Andrea Vaona, 2005.
"Regional Evidence on the Finance-Growth Nexus,"
30, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2139 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2013.
"Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 861-878, April.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2009. "Inflation and Growth: New Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Threshold Analysis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-036, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Kremer, Stephanie & Bick, Alexander & Nautz, Dieter, 2009. "Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis," Discussion Papers 2009/9, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Henderson, Daniel J., 2008. "A Test for Multimodality of Regression Derivatives with an Application to Nonparametric Growth Regressions," MPRA Paper 8768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel J. Henderson, 2010. "A test for multimodality of regression derivatives with application to nonparametric growth regressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 458-480.
- Wojciech Charemza & Svetlana Makarova & Imran Shah, 2013. "Frequent episoded of high inflation and real effects," EcoMod2013 5478, EcoMod.
- Wojciech Charemza & Svetlana Makarova & Imran Shah, 2013. "Making the most of High Inflation," Discussion Papers in Economics 13/01, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Papageorgiou, Chris & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2008. "Are any growth theories linear? Why we should care about what the evidence tells us," MPRA Paper 8767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Creel & Ã‰loi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007.
"Politiques et performances macroÃ©conomiques de la zone euro. Institutions, incitations, stratÃ©gies,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 249-281.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Creel & Eloi Laurenbt & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroÃ©conomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratÃ©gies," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) 2007-23, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Eloi Laurent & Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratégies," Sciences Po publications 2007-23, Sciences Po.
- Danilo Trupkin & Raul Ibarra, 2011. "The Relationship between Inflation and Growth:A Panel Smooth Transition Regression Approach for Developed and Developing Countries," Documentos de Trabajo/Working Papers 1107, Facultad de Ciencias Empresariales y Economia. Universidad de Montevideo..
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "Regional evidence on financial development, finance term structure and growth," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 185-201, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.