Lag Length Estimation in Large Dimensional Systems
AbstractWe study the impact of the system dimension on commonly used model selection criteria (AIC,BIC, HQ) and LR based general to specific testing strategies for lag length estimation in VAR's. We show that AIC's well known overparameterization feature becomes quickly irrelevant as we move away from univariate models, with the criterion leading to consistent estimates under sufficiently large system dimensions. Unless the sample size is unrealistically small, all model selection criteria will tend to point towards low orders as the system dimension increases, with the AIC remaining by far the best performing criterion. This latter point is also illustrated via the use of an analytical power function for model selection criteria. The comparison between the model selection and general to specific testing strategy is discussed within the context of a new penalty term leading to the same choice of lag length under both approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0108003.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Adobe pdf; prepared on IBM PC - ; pages: 26
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Dimensionality; Information Criteria; Lag Length Selection; VAR;
Other versions of this item:
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, . "Lag length estimation in large dimensional systems," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/765, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2001. "Lag Length Estimation in Large Dimensional Systems," Econometrics 0108002, EconWPA.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Audrey Liwan & Evan Lau, 2007.
"Managing Growth: The Role of Export, Inflation and Investment in Three ASEAN Neighboring Countries,"
The IUP Journal of Managerial Economics,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 7-16, November.
- Liwan, Audrey & Lau, Evan, 2007. "Managing Growth: The Role of Export, Inflation and Investment in three ASEAN Neighboring Countries," MPRA Paper 3952, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alain W. HECQ, 2005. "Common Trends and Common Cycles in Latin America: A 2-step vs an Iterative Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 258, Society for Computational Economics.
- E Lau & S Abu Mansor & C-H Puah, 2010. "Revival of the Twin Deficits in Asian Crisis-affected Countries," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 15(1), pages 29-54, March.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, .
"Specification via model selection in vector error correction models,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/754, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Specification via model selection in vector error correction models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 321-328, September.
- Alfredo García-Hiernaux & José Casals & Miguel Jerez, 2012.
"Estimating the system order by subspace methods,"
Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 411-425, September.
- Mezgebo, Taddese, 2009. "A multivariate approach for identification of optimal locations with in Ethiopia’s wheat market to tackle soaring inflation on food price," MPRA Paper 18663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dietmar Maringer & Peter Winker, 2004. "Optimal Lag Structure Selection in VEC-Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 155, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lau, Evan & Puah, Chin-Hong & Oh, Swee-Ling & Lo, Yan-Ching, 2008. "Causality between White Pepper and Black Pepper: Evidence from Six Markets in Sarawak," MPRA Paper 6552, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gonzalo, J. & Lee, T.H., 1995.
"Pitfalls in Testing for Long Run Relationships,"
38, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Lee, Tae-Hwy, . "Pitfalls in testing for long run relationships," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/753, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Chaban, Maxym, 2011. "Home bias, distribution services and determinants of real exchange rates," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 793-806.
- Mezgebo, Taddese, 2009. "A multivariate approach for identification of optimal locations with in Ethiopia’s wheat market to tackle soaring inflation on food price (Extended version)," MPRA Paper 17960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau & Ahmed M. Khalid, 2005. "Testing Twin Deficits Hypothesis: Using VARs and Variance Decomposition," International Finance 0504001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.