The Euromediterranean Free Trade Area: A New Form Of Regional Cooperation?
AbstractIn this paper the practicability of a free trade area has been examined. The classical Viner’s trade creation and trade diversion effects have been considered, and although they refer to a static analysis it can be shown that they still may lead to important conclusions in terms of welfare and trade. The dynamic effects have, however, also been considered being these that make the major contribution to the growth of a developing country. This analysis has been then applied to a concrete case, that of the participation of Morocco and Tunisia to the Euromediterranean free trade area (EMFTA). The aim is to assess whether the EMFTA is the right tool available to foster the economic growth of the non European Mediterranean countries. From the analysis it appears that alternative measures are needed in order to accomplish the goal of the co-development as stated in the Barcelona declaration. Strategic integration is the model identified in order to develop such measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0408005.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 09 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 10
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Development Cooperation ; Trade diversion; Trade Creation; Euro-Mediterranean;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E.E. & Tarr, David, 1993. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the European community : a quantitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1173, The World Bank.
- Bruno Venditto & Immacolata Caruso, 2004. "Co-Operation In The Mediterranean Agricultural Sector, Maghreb And Southern Italy: A Working Hypothesis," Development and Comp Systems 0408004, EconWPA.
- Yilmaz Akyuz & Ha-Joon Chang & Richard Kozul-Wright, 1998. "New perspectives on East Asian development," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 4-36.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.