New perspectives on East Asian development
AbstractConventional explanations of rapid growth in East Asia have focused on the efficient allocation of resources resulting from market-led outward-oriented strategies. This study challenges that approach. East Asian success has centred around the accumulation dynamic both because of its direct importance to the growth process and also because of its close and interdependent linkages with exports. On this basis the study considers the institutions and policies which were used to manage economic rents in support of rapid growth and to ensure a more strategic and orderly integration into the world economy. The study also examines the contribution of regional trade and investment flows to East Asian industrialisation. The potential for replicating similar strategies is considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephanie Seguino, 2005.
"Gender Inequality in a Globalizing World,"
- Ahrens, Joachim & Stark, Manuel, 2012. "Unabhängige Organisationen in autoritären Regimes: Widerspruch in sich oder effektives Instrument von Developmental States?," PFH Forschungspapiere/Research Papers 2012/09, PFH Private University of Applied Sciences, Göttingen.
- Stephanie Seguino, 2000. "Accounting for Gender in Asian Economic Growth," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 27-58.
- Chang, Ha-Joon & Cheema, Ali, 2001. "Conditions for Successful Technology Policy in Developing Countries : Learning Rents, State Structures and Institutions," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 8, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Bruno Venditto, 2004. "The Euromediterranean Free Trade Area: A New Form Of Regional Cooperation?," Development and Comp Systems 0408005, EconWPA.
- repec:nrb:wpaper:nrbwp182013 is not listed on IDEAS
- Özlem Onaran & Giorgos Galanis, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Aggregate Demand: A Global Post-Keynesian Model,"
wp319, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Özlem Onaran & Giorgos Galanis, 2013. "Income distribution and aggregate demand: A global Post-Keynesian model," Working Papers PKWP1304, Post Keynesian Economics Study Group (PKSG).
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1998. "Korea: The misunderstood crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1555-1561, August.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 2000. "The Hazard of Moral Hazard: Untangling the Asian Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 775-788, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.