Real overvaluation, terms of trade shocks, and the cost to agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa
AbstractStarting from the premise that agriculture should be pivotal in the structural transformation and economic development of sub - Saharan Africa, the author addresses two related issues. First, the extent to which policy induced distortions influence the structure of incentives for agriculture (with direct distortions induced by policies aimed directly at agriculture distinguished from indirect policies aimed at the economy's macroeconomic management). The second issue is how these distortions affect agriculture's growth, given other growth fundamentals. Preliminary analysis of evidence in sub - Saharan Africa links the observed declines in agriculture and the general worsening of economic conditions to economic distortions. A more rigorous analysis, using data from the Sudan, an African country with a sizable agricultural economy, strongly supports the predictions of an endogenous growth model, which states the deleterious effects of economic distortions on growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 831.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 1992
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Stabilization; Achieving Shared Growth; Macroeconomic Management; Economic Theory&Research;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Cuddington, John T. & Urzua, Carlos M., 1989. "Trends and cycles in Colombia's real GDP and fiscal deficit," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 325-343, April.
- Neary, J Peter, 1987.
"Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, Peter, 1988. "Determinants of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 210-15, March.
- Cuddington, John T. & Winters, L. Alan, 1987. "The Beveridge-Nelson decomposition of economic time series : A quick computational method," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 125-127, January.
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1991. "The Impact of Real Exchange Rate Misalignment and Instability on Macroeconomic Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium 51146, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Elbadawi, I.A., 1989. "Terms Of Trade, Commercial Policy, And The Black Market For Foreign Exchange: An Empirical Model Of Real Exchange Rate Determination," Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center 570, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Tshibaka, Tshikala B., 1986. "The effects of trade and exchange rate policies on agriculture in Zaire:," Research reports, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 56, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lizondo, Jose Saul, 1989. "Overvalued and undervalued exchange rates in an equilibrium optimizing model," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 223, The World Bank.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1999. "The effects of real exchange rate depreciation on stochastic producer prices in low-income agriculture," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(3), May.
- Ndlela, Thandinkosi, 2010. "Implications of real exchange rate misalignment in developing countries: theory, empirical evidence and application to growth performance in Zimbabwe," MPRA Paper 32710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Uwujaren, Gilbert, 1992. "World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison with other low income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 1000, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.