Macroeconomic structure and policy in Zimbabwe, analysis and empirical model : 1965-1988
AbstractThe authors develop and apply a macroeconomic general equilibrium model for Zimbabwe. The country faces the challenge of engaging in a program of fiscal stabilization and structural reform to address its current fiscal imbalance, high unemployment, and low growth prospects. The authors discuss macroeconomic changes over the last two decades, provide a model of the macroeconomic structure, and estimate aggregate equations for the main goods and asset markets. The macroeconomic framework they model integrates three features of the country's macroeconomy: (a) the noninflationary and almost exclusively domestic financing of the public sector deficit, which has been similar in gross terms to the private sector surplus; (b) sustained negative or low real interest rates, together with no apparent sign of excess demand in credit markets; and (c) the fact that sustained, high growth has never materialized after the dramatic economic declines of the late 1970s that resulted from economic sanctions and civil war.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 771.
Date of creation: 30 Sep 1991
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Stabilization; Macroeconomic Management; Financial Intermediation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuddington, John T. & Urzua, Carlos M., 1989. "Trends and cycles in Colombia's real GDP and fiscal deficit," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 325-343, April.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Ian Domowitz & Craig S. Hakkio, 1986. "Error correction, forward-looking behavior, and dynamic international money demand," Research Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City 86-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1985. "Saving and the real interest rate in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 197-217, August.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Perron, P., 1986. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Khadr, Ali & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1989. "A framework for macroeconomic consistency for Zimbabwe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 310, The World Bank.
- Domowitz, Ian & Elbadawi, Ibrahim, 1987. "An error-correction approach to money demand : The case of Sudan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 257-275, August.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991.
"Public policies and saving in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-115, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "Public policies and saving in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 574, The World Bank.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1988. "Unit roots in economic time series: a selective survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Walton, Michael, 1989. "Private investment, government policy, and foreign capital in Zimbabwe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 248, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.