An emerging agricultural problem in high-performing Asian economies
AbstractPolicies to tax farmers in low-income countries and policies to subsidize them in high-income countries have been identified as a major source of the disequilibrium of world agriculture. Recently, as many high-performing economies in Asia advanced from the low-income to the middle-income stage through successful industrialization, they have been confronted with the problem of a widening income gap between farm and non-farm workers corresponding to rapid shifts in comparative advantage from agriculture to manufacturing. In order to prevent this disparity from culminating in serious social and political instability, policies have been reoriented toward supporting the income of farmers. At the same time, governments in middle-income countries must continue to secure low-cost food for the urban poor who are still large in number. The need to achieve the two conflicting goals under the still weak fiscal capacity of governments tends to make agricultural policies in the middle-income stage tinkering and ineffective. Greater research inputs in this area are called for in order to prevent the growth momentum of high-performing economies in Asia from being disrupted by political crises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4312.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Rural Poverty Reduction; Emerging Markets; Labor Policies;
Other versions of this item:
- Hayami, Yujiro, 2007. "An Emerging Agricultural Problem in High-Performing Asian Economies," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48635, World Bank.
- Hayami, Yujiro, 2005. "An Emerging Agricultural Problem in High-Performing Asian Economies," Miscellaneous Papers 11826, Agecon Search.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-08-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-08-27 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2007-08-27 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayami, The late Yujiro & Godo, Yoshihisa, 2005. "Development Economics: From the Poverty to the Wealth of Nations," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780199272716.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 2004. "The Three Agricultural Problems in the Disequilibrium of World Agriculture," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 1(1), pages 3-16, June.
- Douangngeune, Bounlouane & Hayami, Yujiro & Godo, Yoshihisa, 2005. "Education and natural resources in economic development: Thailand compared with Japan and Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 179-204, April.
- Aksoy , M. Ataman & Isik-Dikmelik, Aylin, 2008. "Are low food prices pro-poor ? net food buyers and sellers in low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4642, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen,Luc & Demery,Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2010.
"The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2011. "The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction--An empirical perspective," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 239-254, November.
- Anderson, Kym, 2010.
"Krueger/Schiff/Valdes revisited : agricultural price and trade policy reform in developing countries since 1960,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5165, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson, 2010. "Krueger/Schiff/Valdes Revisited: Agricultural Price and Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries since 1960," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-04, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym, 2009. "Krueger/Schiff/Valdés Revisited: Agricultural Price and Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries since 1960," CEPR Discussion Papers 7601, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin & Ernesto Valenzuela, 2009.
"Long Run Implications of WTO Accession for Agriculture in China,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2009-20, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, William J. & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2007. "Long Run Implications of WTO Accession for Agriculture in China," China's Agricultural Trade: Issues and Prospects Symposium, July 2007, Beijing, China 55025, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Pan,Lei & Wang, Sangui, 2010. "Drivers of Poverty Reduction in Lagging Regions: Evidence from Rural Western China," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kym Anderson & Johanna Croser & Damiano Sandri & Ernesto Valenzuela, 2010.
"Agricultural Distortion Patterns Since the 1950s: What Needs Explaining?,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2010-13, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym & Croser, Johanna L. & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2009. "Agricultural Distortion Patterns Since the 1950s: What Needs Explaining?," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50305, World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym, 2006.
"Reducing distortions to agricultural incentives : progress, pitfalls, and prospects,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4092, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson, 2006. "Reducing Distortions to Agricultural Incentives: Progress, Pitfalls, and Prospects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1135-1146.
- Will J. Martin & Kym Anderson & Cong S. Pham, 2009. "Effects of GATT/WTO on Asia's Trade Performance," School of Economics Working Papers 2009-11, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.