Poverty in India during the1990s - a regional perspective
AbstractThe authors provide estimates of poverty at the regional level in India, spanning the 1990s. Such estimates have not been previously available due to concerns regarding non-comparability of the 1993-94 and 1999-2000 National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO) household survey data. They implement an adjustment procedure to restore comparability based on a methodology developed by Elbers and others (2003). The results indicate a less rapid decline of poverty, at the all-India level than has been suggested by Deaton and Dre (2002), based on a related adjustment methodology. The authors attempt to uncover the source of disagreement across these procedures, by probing a number of their underlying assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3141.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Health Economics&Finance; Environmental Economics&Policies; Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Poverty Reduction Strategies; Public Health Promotion; Environmental Economics&Policies; Poverty Assessment; Achieving Shared Growth; Poverty Reduction Strategies; Urban Partnerships&Poverty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Elbers & Jean O. Lanjouw & Peter Lanjouw, 2003. "Micro--Level Estimation of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 355-364, January.
- Angus Deaton and Jean Drèze & Jean Drèze, 2002.
"Poverty and Inequality in India: A Reexamination,"
107, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Howes, Stephen & Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1998. "Does Sample Design Matter for Poverty Rate Comparisons?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 99-109, March.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 2002.
"Is India's economic growth leaving the poor behind?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2846, The World Bank.
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 2002. "Is India's Economic Growth Leaving the Poor Behind?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 89-108, Summer.
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2002. "Micro-level estimation of welfare," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2911, The World Bank.
- Gaurav Datt & Valerie Kozel & Martin Ravallion, 2003. "A Model-Based Assessment of India's Progress in Reducing Poverty in the 1990s," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-32, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2012.
"Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India, 1983–2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1135-1150.
- Mehtabul Azam, 2008. "Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India, 1983-2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition," Departmental Working Papers 0807, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2009. "Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India 1983-2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition," IZA Discussion Papers 3963, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kijima, Yoko, 2006. "Why did wage inequality increase? Evidence from urban India 1983-99," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 97-117, October.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Murgai, Rinku, 2009.
"Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and non-farm employment in rural India : 1983-2004,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4858, The World Bank.
- Peter Lanjouw & Rinku Murgai, 2009. "Poverty decline, agricultural wages, and nonfarm employment in rural India: 1983-2004," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 243-263, 03.
- Graw, Valerie & Husmann, Christine Ladenburger, 2012. "Mapping Marginality Hotspots – Geographical Targeting for Poverty Reduction," Working Papers 147917, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Massimiliano Cal� & Carlo Menon, 2013.
"Does Urbanization Affect Rural Poverty? Evidence from Indian Districts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 171-201.
- Cali, Massimiliano & Menon, Carlo, 2013. "Does urbanization affect rural poverty ? evidence from Indian districts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6338, The World Bank.
- Massimiliano Cali & Carlo Menon, 2009. "Does Urbanisation Affect Rural Poverty? Evidence from Indian Districts," SERC Discussion Papers 0014, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Sebastian Levine & Benjamin Roberts, 2012. "Robust Estimates of Changes in Poverty and Inequality in Post-Independence Namibia," Working Papers 102, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Angus Deaton & Valerie Kozel, 2005. "Data and Dogma: The Great Indian Poverty Debate," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 177-199.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.