Help Wanted in New Zealand: The ANZ Bank Job Advertisement Series
AbstractThe ANZ Bank publishes a monthly count of the number of job advertisements appearing in New Zealand newspapers and, more recently, internet sites. It is New Zealand’s de facto vacancy or help-wanted series. Apart from its role in economic commentaries, there is very little published research using this data. This paper is a preliminary attempt to remedy this omission. It covers descriptive aspects of the ANZ job ads series including the vacancy rate, the hiring rate, regional characteristics and proxy vacancy series. This is followed by an outline of the vacancy-unemployment (Beveridge curve) and hiring frameworks and some initial econometric work. Overall, the paper highlights the importance of the vacancy rate and the hiring rate in assessing labour market conditions in New Zealand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Waikato, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 04/03.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
help wanted; Beveridge curve; matching function; New Zealand;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowden, Roger J, 1980. "On the Existence and Secular Stability of u-v Loci," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 35-50, February.
- Katharine G. Abraham, 1987. "Help-Wanted Advertising, Job Vacancies, and Unemployment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 207-248.
- Wall, Howard & Zoega, Gylfi, 1997.
"The British Beveridge Curve: A Tale of Ten Regions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wall, Howard J & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. " The British Beveridge Curve: A Tale of Ten Regions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(3), pages 261-80, July.
- Howard J. Wall & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "The British Beveridge curve: a tale of ten regions," Working Papers 2001-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Brian Silverstone, 2001. "Some Aspects of Labour Market Flows in New Zealand 1986-2001," Working Papers in Economics 01/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Hoyt Bleakley & Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 1997. "Shifts in the Beveridge Curve, job matching, and labor market dynamics," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-19.
- Richard Dutu & Mark J. Holmes & Brian Silverstone, 2009. "Modelling a Regime-Shifting New Zealand Beveridge Curve," Working Papers in Economics 09/13, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Weshah Razzak, 2014.
"New Zealand Labour Market Dynamics: Pre- and Post-global Financial Crisis,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
14/03, New Zealand Treasury.
- Razzak, Weshah, 2013. "New Zealand Labour Market Dynamics Pre- and post-global financial crisis," MPRA Paper 52462, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Razzak, Weshah, 2008. "On The dynamic of search, matching and productivity in New Zealand and Australia," MPRA Paper 8262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.