Estimating the Beveridge Curve of Egypt: An Econometric Study for the Period 2004 to 2010
AbstractThis paper estimates the Beveridge curve of Egypt for the period 2004 to 2010, using quarterly data for the both the private sector and the public sector. Our results confirm the negative relationship between unemployment and private job offers for the Egyptian labor market. The Beveridge curve has shifted inwards during the observation period, indicating an improved matching process between labor supply and private labor demand. However, the results for the public sector are poor, showing the Beveridge curve relation cannot be used to explain the relationship between government sector vacancy rates and the unemployment rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The German University in Cairo, Faculty of Management Technology in its series Working Papers with number 21.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Beveridge Curve; Unemployment; Vacancies; Matching;
Other versions of this item:
- Kasrin Zein & Lang Guenter, 2013. "Estimating the Beveridge Curve of Egypt: An Econometric Study for the Period 2004 to 2010," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-16, January.
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Richard Archambault & Mario Fortin, 2001. "The Beveridge curve and unemployment fluctuations in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 58-81, February.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rodenburg, Peter, 2007.
"The Remarkable Place of the UV-Curve in Economic Theory,"
5823, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Rodenburg, 2007. "The Remarkable Place of the UV-Curve in Economic Theory," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-088/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abid, Anis Bou & Drine, Imed, 2011.
"Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labour market: Evidence from Tunisia,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1131-1139, May.
- Drine, Imed & Bou Abid, Anis, 2010. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labor market: Evidence from Tunisia," MPRA Paper 21994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anis Bou Abid & Imed Drine, 2010. "Efficiency Frontier and Matching Process on the Labour Market: Evidence from Tunisia," Working Paper Series wp2010-123, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hansen, Bent, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter A, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 417-34, July.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1980. "On the Existence and Secular Stability of u-v Loci," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 35-50, February.
- Katharine G. Abraham, 1987. "Help-Wanted Advertising, Job Vacancies, and Unemployment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 207-248.
- Webster, Elizabeth, 1999. "Labour Market Programs and the Australian Beveridge Curve: 1978 to 1997," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 405-16, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lobna Sameer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.