National and Provincial Inflation in Canada: Experiences under Inflation Targeting
AbstractWe examine the behaviour of national and provincial inflation in Canada under inflation targeting to determine the extent to which the inflation targeting regime adopted by the Bank of Canada in the 1990s has anchored inflation expectations. Inflation expectations are well anchored when there are no predictable departures of inflation from target at sufficiently distant horizons. To examine this condition, we consider the out of sample prediction of monthly inflation with specific focus on whether deviations from the 1-3% target band are consistently predictable. We find support for well anchored inflation expectations at the national level and some but not all provinces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Department Discussion Papers with number 1201.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 13 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1914-2838
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Inflation; monetary policy; inflation targeting; forecasting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-04-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FOR-2012-04-23 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2012-04-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-04-23 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1995. "Lag Order and Critical Values of a Modified Dickey-Fuller Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(3), pages 411-19, August.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2009.
"Do Inflation-Targeting Central Banks Implicitly Target the Price Level?,"
Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques
2009-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2009. "Do Inflation-Targeting Central Banks Implicitly Target the Price Level?," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 16-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Dellas, Harris & Tavlas, George, 2010.
"An Optimum Currency Area Odyssey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
7645, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dellas, Harris & Tavlas, George S., 2009. "An optimum-currency-area odyssey," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1117-1137, November.
- Graham M. Voss & Glenn D. Otto, 2011. "Flexible Inflation Forecast Targeting: Evidence from Canada," Department Discussion Papers, Department of Economics, University of Victoria 1101, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.