Accurate Short-Term Yield Curve Forecasting using Functional Gradient Descent
AbstractWe propose a multivariate nonparametric technique for generating reliable shortterm historical yield curve scenarios and confidence intervals. The approach is based on a Functional Gradient Descent (FGD) estimation of the conditional mean vector and covariance matrix of a multivariate interest rate series. It is computationally feasible in large dimensions and it can account for non-linearities in the dependence of interest rates at all available maturities. Based on FGD we apply filtered historical simulation to compute reliable out-of-sample yield curve scenarios and confidence intervals. We back-test our methodology on daily USD bond data for forecasting horizons from 1 to 10 days. Based on several statistical performance measures we find significant evidence of a higher predictive power of our method when compared to scenarios generating techniques based on (i) factor analysis, (ii) a multivariate CCC-GARCH model, or (iii) an exponential smoothing covariances estimator as in the RiskMetricsTM approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen in its series University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 with number 2007-24.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Conditional mean and variance estimation; Filtered Historical Simulation; Functional Gradient Descent; Term structure; Multivariate CCC-GARCH models;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabio Trojani, 2007. "Accurate Short-Term Yield Curve Forecasting using Functional Gradient Descent," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(4), pages 591-623, Fall.
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2007-07-20 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2007-07-20 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-07-20 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2007-07-20 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-07-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-07-20 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2007-07-20 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Teresa Buchen & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2013. "Assessing the Macroeconomic Forecasting Performance of Boosting - Evidence for the United States, the Euro Area, and Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 4148, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francesco Audrino, 2012. "What Drives Short Rate Dynamics? A Functional Gradient Descent Approach," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 39(3), pages 315-335, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.