Flexible employment and cross- regional adjustment
AbstractEmployment flexibility is commonly associated to greater labour mobility and thus faster cross-regional adjustments. The literature however offers very little hard evidence on this and quite limited theoretical guidance. This paper examines empirically the relationship between employment flexibility and cross-regional adjustment (migration) at the regional and local levels in the UK. Employment flexibility is associated to higher labour mobility (but only at a rather localised scale) and at the same time seems to reduce the responsiveness of migration to unemployment. This suggest that rising flexibility may be linked to higher persistence in spatial disparities, as intra-regional adjustments are strengthened while extraregional adjustments weakened. Keywords: Employment flexibility, regional migration, labour market adjustment JEL Codes: R11, R23, J08, J61
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2072/179671.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Ocupació; Mercat de treball; Migració interna; 331 - Treball. Relacions laborals. Ocupació. Organització del treball;
Other versions of this item:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-02-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2012-02-20 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-02-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garibaldi, Pietro, 1998.
"Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 245-275, February.
- Burdett, Kenneth, 1979. "Unemployment Insurance Payments as a Search Subsidy: A Theoretical Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 333-43, July.
- Molho, Ian, 1986. "Theories of Migration: A Review," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 396-419, November.
- A Stewart Fotheringham & Phil Rees & Tony Champion & Stamatis Kalogirou & Andy R Tremayne, 2004. "The development of a migration model for England and Wales: overview and modelling out-migration," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(9), pages 1633-1672, September.
- John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy & John Muellbauer, 2006.
"Housing Market Dynamics and Regional Migration in Britain,"
Economics Series Working Papers
275, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2006. "Housing Market Dynamics and Regional Migration in Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 5832, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Héctor Sala & José I. Silva, 2009. "Flexibility at the margin and labour market volatility: The case of Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 33(2), pages 145-178, May.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2003. "A panel of regional indicators of labour market flexibility: the UK, 1979-1998," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 03/1, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2003.
- David C Maré & Wai Kin Choy, 2001. "Regional Labour Market Adjustment and the Movements of People: A Review," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/08, New Zealand Treasury.
- Nathan J. Ashby, 2007. "Economic Freedom and Migration Flows between U.S. States," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 677â697, January.
- Jens Suedekum, 2004. "Selective migration, union wage setting and unemployment disparities in West Germany," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 33-48.
- Francesco Zanetti, 2007.
"Labour market institutions and aggregate fluctuations in a search and matching model,"
Bank of England working papers
333, Bank of England.
- Zanetti, Francesco, 2011. "Labor market institutions and aggregate fluctuations in a search and matching model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 644-658, June.
- Francesco Zanetti, 2006. "Labor Market Institutions and Aggregate Fluctuations in a Search and Matching Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 445, Society for Computational Economics.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006.
"Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain (1980-1995),"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p53, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2009. "Labour market flexibility and regional unemployment rate dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 181-207, 03.
- Bande, Roberto & Karanassou, Marika, 2007. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," IZA Discussion Papers 2593, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Working Papers 574, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2006. "An SVAR Model of Fluctuations in U.S. Migration Flows and State Labor Market Dynamics," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 958â980, April.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1999. "Trade unions and regional development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 457-474, February.
- Ramon Marimon & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 1997.
"Unemployment vs. Mismatch of Talents: Reconsidering Unemployment Benefits,"
NBER Working Papers
6038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1999. "Unemployment vs. Mismatch of Talents: Reconsidering Unemployment Benefits," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 266-91, April.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1998. "Unemployment vs. Mismatch of Talents: Reconsidering Unemployment Benefits," Seminar Papers 661, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Ramon Marimon & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 1997. "Unemployment vs. mismatch of talents: Reconsidering unemployment benefits," Economics Working Papers 211, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Bentolila, Samuel, 1998. "Regional unemployment persistence (Spain, 1976-1994)," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 25-51, March.
- Gordon, Ian R, 1985. "The Cyclical Interaction between Regional Migration, Employment and Unemployment: A Time Series Analysis for Scotland," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 135-58, June.
- McCormick, Barry, 1997. "Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 581-589, April.
- Hannu Tervo, 2000. "Migration and Labour Market Adjustment: Empirical evidence from Finland 1985-90," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 343-360.
- Mika Haapanen & Jari Ritsila, 2007. "Can Migration Decisions be Affected by Income Policy Interventions? Evidence from Finland," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 339-348.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998.
"The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998. "The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(4), pages 420-46, September.
- Zenou,Yves, 2009.
"Urban Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521875387, October.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 1994. "Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blan94-1.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 1994. "Introduction to "Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?"," NBER Chapters, in: Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?, pages 1-20 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Abraham, Filip, 1996. "Regional adjustment and wage flexibility in the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 51-75, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.