Comparison and evaluation of states of health
AbstractStarting from a finite or countable set of states of health, and assuming the existence of an objective transitive preference relation on that set, we propose a way of performing interpersonal comparisons of states of health. In so doing, we first consider the population divided into types, and consider that two individuals of a different type have a comparable state of health whenever they sit at the same centile of their respective type. A way of comparing and evaluating states of health for different groups is then proposed and rationalized. This can be viewed as both an alternative and an extension of the traditional QALY approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 275.
Date of creation: Dec 1997
Date of revision: Mar 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
QALY; states of health; comparison; types;
Other versions of this item:
- Carmen Herrero Blanco & José Luis Pinto, 1998. "- Comparision And Evaluation Of States Of Health," Working Papers. Serie AD, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 1998-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Herrero, 1996.
"Capabilities and utilities,"
Review of Economic Design, Springer,
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 69-88, December.
- Carmen Herrero Blanco, 1995. "Capabilities And Utilities," Working Papers. Serie AD, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 1995-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Weinstein, Milton C., 1988. "A QALY is a QALY is a QALY -- Or is it?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 289-290, September.
- Roemer, J.E., 1992. "A Pragmatic Theory of Responsibility for the Egalitarian Planner," Papers, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs 391, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Carmen Herrero Blanco, 1998. "- An Alternative Theory Of Health Care Decision Making," Working Papers. Serie AD, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 1998-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.