The Zero-Condition: A Simplifying Assumption in QALY Measurement and Multiattribute Utility
AbstractThis paper studies the implications of the "zero-condition" for multiattribute utility theory. The zero-condition simplifies the measurement and derivation of the Quality Adjusted Life Year (QALY) measure commonly used in medical decision analysis. For general multiattribute utility theory, no simple condition has heretofore been found to characterize multiplicatively decomposable forms. When the zero-condition is satisfied, however, such a simple condition, "standard gamble invariance," becomes available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
QALY; Multiattribute Utility; Utility Independence;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 2011.
"Capabilities as Menus: A Non-Welfarist Basis for QALY Evaluation,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151199, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 2013. "Capabilities as menus: A non-welfarist basis for QALY evaluation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 128-137.
- Doctor, Jason N. & Bleichrodt, Han & Miyamoto, John & Temkin, Nancy R. & Dikmen, Sureyya, 2004. "A new and more robust test of QALYs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 353-367, March.
- Peep F. M. Stalmeier & Jan J. V. Busschbach & Leida M. Lamers & Paul F. M. Krabbe, 2005. "The gap effect: discontinuities of preferences around dead," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 679-685.
- Reza Yaesoubi & Stephen Roberts, 2010. "A game-theoretic framework for estimating a health purchaser’s willingness-to-pay for health and for expansion," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 358-377, December.
- HOUGAARD, Jens L. & MORENO-TERNERO, Juan & OSTERDAL, Lars P., 2012.
"A new axiomatic approach to the evaluation of population health,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2012007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hougaard, Jens Leth & Moreno-Ternero, Juan D. & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2013. "A new axiomatic approach to the evaluation of population health," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 515-523.
- Hougaard, Jens Leth & Moreno-Ternero, Juan D. & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2012. "A new axiomatic approach to the evalution of population health," COHERE Working Paper 2012:3, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & Lars Peter Østerdal, 2012. "A New Axiomatic Approach to the Evaluation of Population Health," MSAP Working Paper Series 07_2012, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & Lars Peter Østerdal, 2011. "A new axiomatic approach to the evaluation of population health," Discussion Papers 11-24, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jens L. Hougaard & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & Lars P. Osterdal, 2012. "A new axiomatic approach to the evaluation of population health," Working Papers 12.08, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- José-Mar�a Abellán-Perpi�án & José-Luis Pinto-Prades & Ildefonso Méndez-Mart�nez & Xabier Bad�a-Llach, 2006. "Towards a better QALY model," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(7), pages 665-676.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 1999. "Life-cycle preferences over consumption and health: when is cost-effectiveness analysis equivalent to cost-benefit analysis?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 681-708, December.
- Bossert, Walter & Peters, Hans, 2000.
"Multi-attribute decision-making in individual and social choice,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 327-339, November.
- Walter Bossert & Hans Peters, . "Multi-Attribute Decision-Making in Individual and Social, Choice," Discussion Papers 98/7, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Lars Østerdal, 2009. "The lack of theoretical support for using person trade-offs in QALY-type models," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 429-436, October.
- Han Bleichrodt, 2002. "A new explanation for the difference between time trade-off utilities and standard gamble utilities," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 447-456.
- Madeleine King & Rosalie Viney & Ishrat Hossain & David Smith & Sandra Fowler & Elizabeth Savage & Bruce Armstrong, 2006. "Men?s preferences for treatment of early stage prostate cancer: Results from a discrete choice experiment, CHERE Working Paper 2006/14," Working Papers 2006/14, CHERE, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Abellan-Perpiñan, Jose Maria & Bleichrodt, Han & Pinto-Prades, Jose Luis, 2009. "The predictive validity of prospect theory versus expected utility in health utility measurement," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1039-1047, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.