When to Start a New Firm?: Modelling the Timing of Novice and Serial Entrepreneurs
AbstractThe success of new start-up firms often depends on timing. It is valuable for the potential entrepreneur to wait for the right moment before starting a new firm. In this paper we provide a theoretical model to determine the optimal time for starting a new firm. We integrate insights from the real option theory with the theory on entrepreneurial market entry. An important and novel feature of our model is that it allows the start-up timing decisions of novice and serial entrepreneurs to be distinguished.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Papers with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper RP2009/39.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
entrepreneurship; serial entrepreneurship; start-ups; real options; stochastic optimal control;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2009-08-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2009-08-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2009-08-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SBM-2009-08-02 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship, frictions, and wealth,"
Working Paper Series
WP-05-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anna L. Paulson & Robert M. Townsend & Alexander Karaivanov, 2006. "Distinguishing Limited Liability from Moral Hazard in a Model of Entrepreneurship," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(1), pages 100-144, February.
- Raquel Fonseca & Pierre-Carl Michaud & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship, Wealth, Liquidity Constraints and Start-up Costs,"
500, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Michaud, Pierre-Carl & Sopraseuth, Thepthida, 2007. "Entrepreneurship, Wealth, Liquidity Constraints and Start-up Costs," IZA Discussion Papers 2874, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erik Stam & Kashifa Suddle & S. Jolanda A. Hessels & Andre van Stel, 2007.
"High Growth Entrepreneurs, Public Policies and Economic Growth,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-019, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- André van Stel & Jolanda Hessels & F. Stam & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "High growth entrepreneurs, public policies and economic growth," Scales Research Reports H200608, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Vesa Kanniainen & Panu Poutvaara, 2007.
"Imperfect Transmission of Tacit Knowledge and other Barriers to Entrepreneurship,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2053, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Poutvaara, Panu, 2007. "Imperfect Transmission of Tacit Knowledge and Other Barriers to Entrepreneurship," IZA Discussion Papers 2859, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niels Bosma & Gerrit Wit & Martin Carree, 2005.
"Modelling Entrepreneurship: Unifying The Equilibrium and Entry/Exit Approach,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 35-48, 08.
- Bosma, Niels & Wit, Gerrit de & Carree, Martin, 2005. "Modelling entrepreneurship: Unifying the equilibrium and entry/exit approach," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15269, Maastricht University.
- Gerrit de Wit & Niels Bosma & Martin Carree, 2003. "Modelling Entrepreneurship: Unifying the Equilibrium and Entry/Exit Approach," Scales Research Reports H200305, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Gerrit de Wit & Niels Bosma & Martin Carree, 2002. "Modelling Entrepreneurship: unifying the equilibrium and entry/exit approach," Scales Research Reports N200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Andrew F. Newman, 2007.
"Risk-Bearing and Entrepreneurship,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series
dp-162, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Dan Bernhardt & Huw Lloyd-Ellis, 1993.
"Enterprise, Inequality and Economic Development,"
893, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jørgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 745-778, September.
- David Blanchflower & A Oswald, 1993. "Entrepreneurship," CEP Discussion Papers dp0134, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew & Stutzer, Alois, 2001. "Latent entrepreneurship across nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 680-691, May.
- Hogan, Vincent & Walker, Ian, 2007.
"Education choice under uncertainty: Implications for public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 894-912, December.
- Vincent Hogan & Ian Walker, 2006. "Education Choice under Uncertainty - Implications for Public Policy," Working Papers 200615, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Gaglio, Connie Marie & Katz, Jerome A, 2001. " The Psychological Basis of Opportunity Identification: Entrepreneurial Alertness," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 95-111, March.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," NBER Working Papers 8876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and Institutions," Working Paper Series 707, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Erik Stam & David Audretsch & Joris Meijaard, 2006. "Renascent Entrepreneurship - Entrepreneurial Preferences Subsequent to Firm Exit," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990.
"The Allocation of Talent: Implicationsfor Growth,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
65, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Raquel Fonseca & Pierre-Carl Michaud & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2007. "Entrepreneurship, Liquidity Constraints and Start-up Costs," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 173, McMaster University.
- Jacobs, Bas, 2007.
"Real options and human capital investment,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 913-925, December.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Lopez-Garcia, Paloma & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, start-up costs and employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 692-705, May.
- Niemann, Rainer & Sureth, Caren, 2004. "Tax neutrality under irreversibility and risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 43-47, July.
- Paolo Panteghini & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2006. "To Invest or not to Invest: A real options approach to FDIs and tax competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(6), pages 643-660, November.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Agliardi, Elettra, 2001. "Taxation and Investment Decisions: A Real Options Approach," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 44-55, March.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.