Neutral Taxation under Uncertainty - a Real Options Approach
AbstractThis paper analyses neutral tax systems under uncertainty and risk neutrality using real option theory. In the case of an option to invest, the investment problem can be formulated before and after taxes, demonstrating the effects of flexibility and irreversibility. A sufficient condition for tax neutrality is the equivalence of the investment problems before and after taxes. Under this condition, neutral depreciation schedules can be derived for every kind of interest taxation without explicitly solving the emerging free-boundary problems. Two special cases of neutral tax systems are the cash flow tax and the Johansson-Samuelson tax. For the validity of the Johansson-Samuelson theorem under uncertainty and irreversibility it is necessary to extend the depreciation base on the real option.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 56 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paolo Panteghini, 2000.
"On Corporate Tax Asymmetries and Neutrality,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
276, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2010.
"Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax Rate Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3017, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo M. Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2011. "Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax‐Rate Uncertainty," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(4), pages 438-468, November.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2009. "Optimal investment and financial strategies under tax rate uncertainty," Working Papers 0912, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo M. Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2010. "Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax Rate Uncertainty," Working Papers 2010.68, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luis Alvarez & Vesa Kanniainen & Jan Södersten, 1999.
"Why is the Corporation Tax Not Neutral?. Anticipated Tax Reform, Investment Spurts and Corporate Borrowing,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(3/4), pages 285-, July.
- Alvarez JR, Luis & Kanniainen, Vesa & Södersten, Jan, 2000. "Why is the Corporation Tax Not Neutral? Anticipated Tax Reform, Investment Spurts and Corporate Borrowing," Working Paper Series 2000:4, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Rainer Niemann, 2007. "The Impact of Tax Uncertainty on Irreversible Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2075, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hjalmar Boehm & Michael Funke, 2000. "Optimal Investment Strategies under Demand and Tax Policy Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 311, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rainer Niemann, 2001. "Tax Rate Uncertainty and Investment Behavior," CESifo Working Paper Series 557, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rainer Niemann & Caren Sureth, 2002. "Taxation under Uncertainty – Problems of Dynamic Programming and Contingent Claims Analysis in Real Option Theory," CESifo Working Paper Series 709, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.