Exchange Rates, International Trade And Trade Policies
AbstractThe exchange rate plays an important role in a country’s trade performance. Whether determined by exogenous shocks or by policy, the relative valuations of currencies and their volatility often have important repercussions on international trade, the balance of payments and overall economic performance. This paper investigates the importance of exchange rates on international trade by analysing the impact that exchange rate volatility and misalignment have on trade and then by exploring whether exchange rate misalignments affect governments’ decisions regarding trade policies. The methodology consists of estimating fixed effects models on a detailed panel dataset comprising about 100 countries and covering 10 years (2000-2009). The findings of this study are generally in line with those of the recent literature in supporting the importance of exchange rate misalignment while disregarding that of exchange rate volatility. In magnitude, exchange rate misalignments result in trade diversion quantifiable in about one per cent of world trade. This paper also shows evidence supporting the argument that trade policy is used to compensate for some of the consequences of an overvalued currency, especially with regard to anti-dumping interventions. The findings of this research carry three broad policy implications. First, policymakers need to pay attention to the exchange rates of their countries and those of other countries as the effect of currency misalignments on international trade is considerable. Second, the relative valuation of currencies can explain only a small part of global trade imbalances. Adjustments in exchange rates can be only part of the solution for global rebalancing and need to be accompanied by other policy actions. Finally, strategies to avoid the resurgence of protectionist measures should include multilateral cooperation related to the stabilization of exchange rates towards their equilibrium level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations Conference on Trade and Development in its series UNCTAD Blue Series Papers with number 56.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandro Nicita, 2013. "Exchange rates, international trade and trade policies," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 135-136, pages 47-61.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Subramanian, Arvind, 2011.
"Aid, Dutch disease, and manufacturing growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 106-118, January.
- Oatley Thomas, 2010. "Real Exchange Rates and Trade Protectionism," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(2), pages 1-19, August.
- Peree, Eric & Steinherr, Alfred, 1989. "Exchange rate uncertainty and foreign trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1241-1264, July.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013.
"The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012. "The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review," CESifo Working Paper Series 3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2009. "Bonus vetus OLS: A simple method for approximating international trade-cost effects using the gravity equation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 77-85, February.
- Andrew Berg & Yanliang Miao, 2010. "The Real Exchange Rate and Growth Revisited," IMF Working Papers 10/58, International Monetary Fund.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Laixun Zhao & Yuqing Xing, 2006. "Global Production and Currency Devaluation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 202-211, 05.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005.
"The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Activity in Historical Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
05/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005. "The Rise of US Anti-dumping Activity in Historical Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 651-668, 05.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- Richard Baldwin, 1988.
"Hysteresis In Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect,"
NBER Working Papers
2545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Silvana Tenreyro, 2003.
"On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility,"
03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tenreyro, Silvana, 2007. "On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 485-508, March.
- Paulo Gala, 2008. "Real exchange rate levels and economic development: theoretical analysis and econometric evidence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 273-288, March.
- Baron, David P, 1976. "Flexible Exchange Rates, Forward Markets, and the Level of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 253-66, June.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1973. "International Trade and the Forward Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 494-503, June.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003.
"Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," Departmental Working Papers 200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Staiger, Robert W. & Sykes, Alan O., 2010.
"‘Currency manipulation’ and world trade,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 583-627, October.
- Michael W. Klein & Jay C. Shambaugh, 2004.
"Fixed Exchange Rates and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sercu, Piet & Vanhulle, Cynthia, 1992. "Exchange rate volatility, international trade, and the value of exporting firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-182, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Porcu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.