Gastar en Cuidados Médicos: ¿Es un Lujo para los Montevideanos?
AbstractUsing data from de Survey of Households Expenditures (1982-1983 and 1994-1995) of the Instituto Nacional de Estadística we estimates Engel Curves for a series of health expenditure. It is possible to affirm for 1994-1995 that the total expenditure in health care are a luxury good for people from Montevideo. Analyzing some specific components the same characteristic is observed for medications, not being able to reject the hypothesis that the expenditures on IAMC and mobile emergencies are necessary goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 0604.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1, June.
- Maximo Rossi y Patricia Triunfo, 2004.
"El estado de salud del adulto mayor en Uruguay,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
113, Econometric Society.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Doorslaer, Eddy van, 2001. "Paying for health care : quantifying fairness, catastrophe, and impoverishment, with applications to Vietnam, 1993-98," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2715, The World Bank.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Andrés Pereyra & Máximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2001.
"El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
2201, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Pereyra, Andrés & Rossi, Máximo & Triunfo, Patricia, 2003. "El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(277), pages 43-79, enero-mar.
- Mocan, H. Naci & Tekin, Erdal & Zax, Jeffrey S., 2004.
"The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 289-304, February.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988.
"Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves,"
504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995. "Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- Parker, Susan W. & Wong, Rebeca, 1997. "Household income and health care expenditures in Mexico," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 237-255, June.
- Dora L. Costa, 1997. "Less of a Luxury: The Rise of Recreation since 1888," NBER Working Papers 6054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia Triunfo, 2001. "Economías de escala y de alcance de las instituciones de asistencia médica colectiva en Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1201, Department of Economics - dECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.