The value of the change in health in Sweden 1980|81 to 1996|97
AbstractThe study aimed to estimate the value of the change in health in Sweden 1980|81 to 1996|97. Quality-adjusted life years (QALYs) for men and women at specific ages were estimated for 1980|81, 1988|89 and 1996|97, by combining survival rates and health state scores. Data from the Swedish Survey of Living Conditions (n=39 966) were used to estimate age-specific health state scores. Responses to selected survey questions were mapped into the EQ-5D measure, using the UK EQ-5D index tariff to derive health state scores. The monetary value of a QALY was assumed to be $100 000. Life expectancy for infants increased by 3.68 years for males and 2.70 years for females between 1980|81 and 1996|97. Average health status decreased in younger age groups whereas it increased in older age groups. Expected QALYs for infants increased by 2.64 for males and 0.54 for females. With 3% discounting the gain was 0.11 QALYs ($11 000) among males and a loss by 0.58 QALYs ($58 000) among females. The corresponding gain in discounted QALYs for a 75-year-old was 1.15 ($115 000) and 0.80 ($80 000), respectively. It is concluded that older persons have experienced considerable health gains whereas the health gains have been small or non-existent for younger women. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burstrom, Kristina & Johannesson, Magnus & Diderichsen, Finn, 2001. "Health-related quality of life by disease and socio-economic group in the general population in Sweden," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-69, January.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1, October.
- Torrance, George W., 1986. "Measurement of health state utilities for economic appraisal : A review," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Lundborg, Petter & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Nystedt, Paul, 2012. "Do Socioeconomic Factors Really Explain Income-Related Inequalities in Health? Applying a Twin Design to Standard Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers 2012:21, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2007.
"On the Determinants of Mortality Reductions in the Developing World,"
Population and Development Review,
The Population Council, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 247-287.
- Rodrigo Reis Soares, 2006. "On the determinants of mortality reductions in the developing world," Textos para discussÃ£o 529, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2007. "On the Determinants of Mortality Reductions in the Developing World," NBER Working Papers 12837, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2007.
"Health and the Evolution of Welfare across Brazilian Municipalities,"
NBER Working Papers
13087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Soares, Rodrigo R., 2007. "Health and the evolution of welfare across Brazilian municipalities," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 590-608, November.
- Soares, Rodrigo R., 2007. "Health and the Evolution of Welfare across Brazilian Municipalities," IZA Discussion Papers 2771, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2006. "Health And The Evolution Of Welfare Across Brazilian Municipalities," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 105, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Shaheen, Rubina & Lindholm, Lars, 2006. "Quality of life among pregnant women with chronic energy deficiency in rural Bangladesh," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 78(2-3), pages 128-134, October.
- Nordin , Martin & Gerdtham , Ulf-G, 2010. "Why a positive link between age and income-related health inequality?," Working Papers 2010:12, Lund University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.