El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas
AbstractDuring the last decade changes have taken place in the structure of the expenditure of the Uruguayan households. In particular, the expenditure in health care raised and diversified. Using data from income and expenditure survey (Encuesta de Gastos e Ingresos 1994-95, Instituto Nacional de Estadística), we estimated Engel curves for different goods and services related to health care. We found that health care is necessary (income elasticity positive and smaller than one) except for medicament and dental care (it is not possible to reject the hypothesis that they are luxury goods). When considering all the expenditure in health care, it is proven that it is a necessary good but the income elasticity is near to one. Nevertheless, is a necessary good for the richest, but is not possible to reject that it is a luxury good for the poorest.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 2201.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Pereyra, Andrés & Rossi, Máximo & Triunfo, Patricia, 2003. "El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(277), pages 43-79, enero-mar.
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maximo Rossi y Patricia Triunfo, 2004.
"El estado de salud del adulto mayor en Uruguay,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
113, Econometric Society.
- Gandelman, Néstor, 2010. "Property rights and chronic diseases: Evidence from a natural experiment in Montevideo, Uruguay 1990-2006," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-167, July.
- Máximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2004. "Gastar en Cuidados Médicos: ¿Es un Lujo para los Montevideanos?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0604, Department of Economics - dECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.