Dublin Jewish Demography a Century Ago
AbstractThis paper examines the demography of Irelandâs Jewish community a century ago. Its focus is on Dublin Jewry, then mainly a community of immigrants from the Tsarist Empire and their children. It compares the marital fertility and infant and child mortality of immigrant couples with those of native couples living in the same neighbourhood. While âeconomicâ variables are shown to have mattered, there remains a large âculturalâ component to the distinctive demography of Jewish households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School Of Economics, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 200601.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 19 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffy, Niall & O'Gráda, Cormac, 1995.
"Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- O Grada, Cormac & Duffy, Niall, 1995. "Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 423-31, November.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2002. "Infant and Child Mortality in Dublin a Century Ago," Working Papers 200228, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Gráda, 1991.
"New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880–1911,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 535-548, November.
- O'Gráda, Cormac, 1991. "New Evidence on the Fertility Transition in Ireland 1880-1911," CEPR Discussion Papers 531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Peter Kohler & Jere R. Behrman & Susan Cotts Watkins, 1999. "The structure of social networks and fertility decisions: evidence from S. Nyanza District, Kenya," MPIDR Working Papers WP-1999-005, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Kohler, Hans-Peter, 2001. "Fertility and Social Interaction: An Economic Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199244591, Octomber.
- Yvonne Stolz & Jörg Baten, 2012.
"Brain Drain in the Age of Mass Migration: Does Relative Inequality Explain Migrant Selectivity?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3705, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stolz, Yvonne & Baten, Joerg, 2012. "Brain drain in the age of mass migration: Does relative inequality explain migrant selectivity?," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 205-220.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.