Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago
AbstractData were extracted from the 1911 Irish manuscript census to study the regional variation in the extent and character of family limitation strategies in Ireland a century ago. Regression analysis of the data shows evidence of `spacing' in both urban and rural Ireland. Further analysis of the so-called `replacement' problem also produces results consistent with `spacing'.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1109.
Date of creation: Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- O Grada, Cormac & Duffy, Niall, 1995. "Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 423-31, November.
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- N33 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Europe: Pre-1913
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. Peter Neary, 2006. "Introduction to the Special Issue," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 37(2), pages 121-122.
- Guinnane, Timothy W. & Moehling, Carolyn M. & O Grada, Cormac, 2006.
"The fertility of the Irish in the United States in 1910,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 465-485, July.
- Timothy W Guinnane & Carolyn M Moehling & Cormac Ó Gráda, 2004. "The Fertility of the Irish in the United States in 1910," Working Papers 200402, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2002. "Infant and Child Mortality in Dublin a Century Ago," Working Papers 200228, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Timothy Guinnane & Carolyn Moehling & Cormac O Grada, 2002. "The Fertility of the Irish in America in 1910," Working Papers 848, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2006.
"Dublin Jewish Demography a Century Ago,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 37(2), pages 123-147.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.