Fiscal Politics In Time: Pathways to Fiscal Consolidation, 1980-2012
AbstractThe comparative study of debt and fiscal consolidation has acquired a new focus in the wake of the global financial crisis. This leads us to re-evaluate the literature on fiscal consolidation that flourished during the 1980s and 1990s. The conventional approach segments episodes of fiscal change into discrete observations. We argue that this misses the dynamic features of government strategy, especially in the choices made between expenditure-based and revenue-based fiscal consolidation strategies. We propose a focus on pathways rather than episodes of adjustment, to recapture what Pierson terms ‘politics in time’. A case-study approach facilitates analysis of complex causality that includes the structures of interest intermediation, the role of ideas in shaping the set of feasible policy choices, and the situation of national economies in the international political economy. We support our argument with qualitative data based on two case studies, Ireland and Greece, and with additional paired comparisons of Ireland with Britain, and Greece with Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Geary Institute, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 201228.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 21 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Mitsopoulos & Theodore Pelagidis, 2011. "Understanding the Greek Crisis," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 12(1), pages 177-192, January.
- Sebastian Dellepiane & Niamh Hardiman, 2011. "Governing the Irish Economy: A Triple Crisis," Working Papers 201103, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & John D. Tsoukalas, 2011.
"The Greek Debt Crisis: Likely Causes, Mechanics and Outcomes,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 173-191, 02.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & John D. Tsoukalas, 2010. "The Greek Debt Crisis: Likely Causes, Mechanics and Outcomes," CESifo Working Paper Series 3266, CESifo Group Munich.
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Tsoukalas, John D., 2010. "The Greek Debt Crisis: Likely Causes, Mechanics and Outcomes," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2010/3, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1998. " The Political Economy of Fiscal Consolidations," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 367-94, March.
- Georgios P. Kouretas & Prodromos Vlamis, 2010. "The Greek Crisis: Causes and Implications," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(4), pages 391-404, December.
- Hallerberg, Mark & Strauch, Rolf & Hagen, Jürgen von, 2006.
"The design of fiscal rules and forms of governance in European Union countries,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
150, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Hallerberg, Mark & Strauch, Rolf & von Hagen, Jurgen, 2007. "The design of fiscal rules and forms of governance in European Union countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 338-359, June.
- Hallerberg, Mark & Strauch, Rolf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2004. "The design of fiscal rules and forms of governance in European Union countries," Working Paper Series 0419, European Central Bank.
- Niamh Hardiman, 2006. "Politics and Social Partnership - Flexible Network Governance," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 37(3), pages 343â374.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1990.
"Can Severe Fiscal Contractions Be Expansionary? Tales of Two Small European Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1990. "Can Severe Fiscal Contractions Be Expansionary? Tales of Two Small European Countries," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 75-122 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1990. "Can Severe Fiscal Contractions be Expansionary? Tales of Two Small European Countries," NBER Working Papers 3372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1990. "Can Severe Fiscal Contractions Be Expansionary? Tales of two Small Euopean Countries," Working Papers 89, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, May.
- Weingast, Barry R & Shepsle, Kenneth A & Johnsen, Christopher, 1981. "The Political Economy of Benefits and Costs: A Neoclassical Approach to Distributive Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 642-64, August.
- C. John McDermott & Robert F. Wescott, 1996.
"An Empirical Analysis of Fiscal Adjustments,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(4), pages 725-753, December.
- Carlos Mulas-Granados, 2003. "The Political and Economic Determinants of Budgetary Consolidation in Europe," European Political Economy Review, European Political Economy Infrastructure Consortium, vol. 1(Spring), pages 15-39.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti & José Tavares, 1998. "The Political Economy of Fiscal Adjustments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 197-266.
- Hodson, Dermot, 2011. "Governing the Euro Area in Good Times and Bad," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199572502.
- Crouch, Colin, 2000. "The Snakes and Ladders of Twenty-First-Century Trade Unionism," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 70-83, Spring.
- Roche, William K., 2009. "Social Partnership - From Lemass to Cowen," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(2), pages 183â205.
- Paul Teague & Jimmy Donaghey, 2009. "Why has Irish Social Partnership Survived?," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 47(1), pages 55-78, 03.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2009. "A Tale of Two Trilemmas," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp364, IIIS.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Olivier J. Blanchard & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
IMF Staff Position Notes
2010/03, International Monetary Fund.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1989. "Political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 903-933, May.
- Kevin Featherstone, 2011. "The JCMS Annual Lecture: The Greek Sovereign Debt Crisis and EMU: A Failing State in a Skewed Regime," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 193-217, 03.
- Sebastian Dellepiane & Niamh Hardiman, 2012. "The New Politics of Austerity: Fiscal Responses to the Economic Crisis in Ireland and Spain," Working Papers 201207, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Barry, Frank, 2009. "Social Partnership, Competitiveness and Exit from Fiscal Crisis," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(1), pages 1-14.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1996. "Fiscal Consolidation in Europe: Composition Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 105-10, May.
- Sebastian Dellepiane Avellaneda & Niamh Hardiman, 2010. "The European Context of Ireland’s Economic Crisis," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 41(4), pages 473â500.
- John FitzGerald, 2001.
"Wage Determination in Economies in Transition: Ireland Spain and Portugal,"
WP141, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- John FitzGerald & Jonathan Hore, 2002. "Wage Determination in Economies in Transition: Ireland, Spain and Portugal," Papers WP147, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- McCarthy, Colm, 2009. "Fiscal Consolidation II : lessons from the last time," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1528, University College Dublin.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Manmohan S. Kumar & Daniel Leigh, 2007. "Fiscal Adjustments: Determinants and Macroeconomic Consequences," IMF Working Papers 07/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Porzecanski, Arturo C., 2012. "Behind the Greek default and restructuring of 2012," MPRA Paper 42432, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Strauch, Rolf, 2002. "Budgetary Consolidation in Europe: Quality, Economic Conditions, and Persistence," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 512-535, December.
- Niamh Hardiman, 2013. "Rethinking the political economy of fiscal consolidation in two recessions in Ireland," Working Papers 201316, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Niamh Hardiman & Muiris MacCarthaigh, 2013. "How Governments Retrench In Crisis: The Case of Ireland," Working Papers 201315, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.