Are there Regional Disparities in Suicide Rates? Quantifying Suicide Rates? Quantifying Suicide Distributions for Queensland, 1990-2007
AbstractThe study commences with a question that epidemiology would regard as 'old' viz. whether suicide rates are higher in rural areas or urban areas, and turns to applying an economic technique of analysis to studying regional suicide disparities. Several dispersion measures are applied to time series male and female suicide rates, including economic inequality measures and measures from regional studies. Equations are modelled on these dispersion measurements, establishing the sign on the slope coefficients. It is determined whether regional disparities in Queensland lessened, or increased, in the study period. The interpretations relevant to a regional studies literature are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 2012.02.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
suicide; regional disparities; measuring dispersion; economic inequality;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-04-23 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2012-04-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Robert Dixon & Muhammad Mahmood, 2007.
"Unemployment Rate Dispersion in Melbourne: The Regional Dimension,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
983, The University of Melbourne.
- Robert Dixon & Muhammad Mahmood, 2006. "Unemployment Rate Dispersion in Melbourne: The ‘Regional’ Dimension," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 9(3), pages 269-286, September.
- Ruth F. G. Williams & D. P. Doessel, 2007. "The Role of Knowledge Accumulation in Health and Longevity: The Puzzling Case of Suicide," Prometheus, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 283-303.
- Robert Dixon & David Shepherd & James Thomson, 2001. "Regional Unemployment Disparities in Australia," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 93-102.
- Le Grand, Julian, 1987. "Inequalities in health : Some international comparisons," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 182-191.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1966. "Regional Unemployment As A Cyclical Phenomenon1," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 13(2), pages 205-219, 06.
- Jeff Borland & Steven Kennedy, 1998.
"Dimensions, Structure and History of Australian Unemployment,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Borland, J. & Kennedy, S., 1998. "Dimensions, Structure and History of Australian Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 388, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Robert Dixon, 2007. "Unemployment Rate Dispersion within Australian Cities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 980, The University of Melbourne.
- Ruth F. G. Williams & D. P. Doessel, 2007. "The Gross Prices Of Private Fee-For-Service Psychiatric Services Under Medicare In Six Australian Regions 1984–2001," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 26(1), pages 86-100, 03.
- Gregory Clark, 2007. "A Review of Avner Greif's Institutions and the Path to the Modern Economy: Lessons from Medieval Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 725-741, September.
- Ron Martin, 1997. "Regional Unemployment Disparities and their Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 237-252.
- J. Taylor, . "Regional Economic Disparities: Causes and Consequences," Working Papers ec1/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Silber, Jacques, 1982. "Health and inequality : Some applications of uncertainty theory," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 16(19), pages 1663-1666, January.
- Silber, Jacques, 1983. "ELL (The Equivalent Length of Life) or another attempt at measuring development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 21-29, January.
- Doessel, Darrel P. & Williams, Ruth F. G. & Robertson, Jennie R., 2011. "Changes in the inequality of mental health: suicide in Australia, 1907–2003," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 23-42, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.