A New Composite Index of Coincident Economic Indicators in Japan: How can we improve the forecast performance?
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to construct a new composite index of coincident economic indicators in Japan and to demonstrate their usefulness in forecasting recent short-run economic fluctuations. The method of construction is based on the single-index dynamic factor model. Our two types of indexes are highly correlated with the traditional composite index compiled by the EPA over business-cycle horizons. However, standard leading indicators, which failed to forecast the traditional composite index, make a satisfactory performance in forecasting our indexes in the 1990s. In addition, lagged values of our indexes help to improve the leading indicatorsf performance in forecasting the traditional composite index in the 1990s. The result is noteworthy because a large number of research institutes made serious errors in forecasting recent recessions in Japan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-101.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-02-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1994.
"Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
4643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taizo Motonishi & Hirshi Yoshikawa, 1999.
"Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan During the 1990s: Financial or Real?,"
NBER Working Papers
7351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Motonishi, Taizo & Yoshikawa, Hiroshi, 1999. "Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan during the 1990s: Financial or Real?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 181-200, September.
- Taizo Motonishi & Hiroshi Yoshikawa, 1999. "Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan during the 1990fs: Financial or Real?," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-56, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Watson, Mark W. & Engle, Robert F., 1983. "Alternative algorithms for the estimation of dynamic factor, mimic and varying coefficient regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-400, December.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanoh, Satoru, 1990. "Statistical reconsideration of the epa diffusion index," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 139-156, June.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "Has The U.S. Economy Become More Stable? A Bayesian Approach Based On A Markov-Switching Model Of The Business Cycle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 608-616, November.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Claudia Godbout & Marco J. Lombardi, 2012.
"Short-Term Forecasting of the Japanese Economy Using Factor Models,"
12-7, Bank of Canada.
- Godbout, Claudia & Lombardi, Marco J., 2012. "Short-term forecasting of the Japanese economy using factor models," Working Paper Series 1428, European Central Bank.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Medhi Mili & Frédéric Teulon, 2014.
"What is the linkage between real growth in the Euro area and global financial market conditions ?,"
2014-324, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Jean-michel Sahut & Medhi Mili & Frédéric Teulon, 2012. "What is the linkage between real growth in the Euro area and global financial market conditions?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2464-2480.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2010.
"Nonlinear Forecasting Analysis Using Diffusion Indexes: An Application to Japan,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000168, David K. Levine.
- Shintani, Mototsugu, 2005. "Nonlinear Forecasting Analysis Using Diffusion Indexes: An Application to Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 517-38, June.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2003. "Nonlinear Forecasting Analysis Using Diffusion Indexes: An Application to Japan," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0322, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Apr 2004.
- Avanzini, Diego B., 2009. "Designing Composite Entrepreneurship Indicators: An Application Using Consensus PCA," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mapa, Dennis S. & Simbulan, Maria Christina, 2014. "Analyzing and Forecasting Movements of the Philippine Economy using the Dynamic Factor Models (DFM)," MPRA Paper 54478, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.