N-Dimensional Blotto Game with Asymmetric Battlefield Values
AbstractThis paper introduces a new geometric method for constructing equilibrium distributions in the Colonel Blotto game with asymmetric battlefield values, generalizing the construction method of Laslier and Picard (2002). Our method does particularly well in instances of the Colonel Blotto game in which the battlefield values satisfy some clearly defined regularity conditions. The paper establishes the parallel between these conditions and the constrained integer partitioning problem in combinatorial optimisation. We illustrate in the context of the US presidential elections the properties of equilibrium distributions generated by our construction method. In a numerical example, we address the equity of campaign resource allocations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Economics in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 130116.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision: Aug 2013
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laslier, Jean-Francois & Picard, Nathalie, 2002. "Distributive Politics and Electoral Competition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 106-130, March.
- Kvasov, Dmitriy, 2007. "Contests with limited resources," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 738-748, September.
- Brian Roberson, 2006. "The Colonel Blotto game," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Kaplan, Todd R & Zamir, Shmuel, 2014.
"Advances in Auctions,"
54656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Todd R. Kaplan & Shmuel Zamir, 2014. "Advances in Auctions," Discussion Papers, Exeter University, Department of Economics 1405, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Todd R. Kaplan & Shmuel Zamir, 2014. "Advances in Auctions," Discussion Paper Series, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem dp662, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Maria Montero & Alex Possajennikov & Martin Sefton & Theodore Turocy, 2013.
"Majoritarian Contests with Asymmetric Battlefields: An Experiment,"
Discussion Papers, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham
2013-12, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Montero García, Maria & Possajennikow, Alex & Sefton, Martín & Turocy, Theodore L., 2013. "Majoritarian Contests with Asymmetric Battlefields: An Experiment," IKERLANAK Ikerlanak;2013-76, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Thomas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.