On Fairness of Equilibria in Economies with Differential Information
AbstractThe paper proposes a notion of fairness which overcomes the conflict arising between efficiency and the absence of envy in economies with uncertainty and asymmetrically informed agents. We do it in general economies which include, as particular cases, the main differential information economies studied in the literature. The analysis is further extended by allowing the presence of large traders, which may cause the lack of perfect competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy in its series CSEF Working Papers with number 303.
Date of creation: 11 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Mixed markets; fairness; envy; efficiency; asymmetric information;
Other versions of this item:
- Achille Basile & Maria Graziano & Marialaura Pesce, 2014. "On fairness of equilibria in economies with differential information," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 76(4), pages 573-599, April.
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2012-01-25 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2012-01-25 (Game Theory)
- NEP-HPE-2012-01-25 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2012-01-25 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffroy de Clippel, 2004.
"The Type-Agent Core for Exchange Economies with Asymmetric Information,"
2004-18, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy, 2007. "The type-agent core for exchange economies with asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 144-158, July.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1991. "The Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 183-97, April.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Discussion Papers 495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Palfrey, Thomas R & Srivastava, Sanjay, 1987. "On Bayesian Implementable Allocations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 193-208, April.
- Maria Laura Pesce, 2011. "Are Asymmetrically Informed Agents Envious?," CSEF Working Papers 292, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2002:i:18:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 1975.
"Coalitional Fairness of Allocations in Pure Exchange Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 661-68, July.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean, . "Coalitinal fairness of allocations in pure exchange economies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -227, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- H. R. Varian, 1973.
"Equity, Envy and Efficiency,"
115, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Wilson, Robert B, 1978. "Information, Efficiency, and the Core of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 807-16, July.
- Herves-Beloso, Carlos & Moreno-Garcia, Emma & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2005. "An equivalence theorem for a differential information economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 844-856, November.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00086032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ezra Einy & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2001. "Competitive and core allocations in large economies with differential information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 321-332.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2002.
"Fairness under Uncertainty,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Geoffroy de Clippel, 2004.
"Equity, Envy and Efficiency under Asymmetric Information,"
2004-19, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy, 2008. "Equity, envy and efficiency under asymmetric information," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 265-267, May.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 1986. "A simple proof of the equivalence theorem for oligopolistic mixed markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 79-83, April.
- De Simone, Anna & Graziano, Maria Gabriella, 2003. "Cone conditions in oligopolistic market models," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 53-73, February.
- Marialaura Pesce, 2010. "On mixed markets with asymmetric information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 23-53, October.
- Kobayashi, Takao, 1980. "Equilibrium Contracts for Syndicates with Differential Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1635-65, November.
- Kreps, David M., 1977. "A note on "fulfilled expectations" equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 32-43, February.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1967. "Games with Incomplete Information Played by "Bayesian" Players, I-III Part I. The Basic Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3), pages 159-182, November.
- Lin Zhou, 1991. "Strictly Fair Allocations in Large Exchange Economies," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 972, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Allen, Beth E, 1981. "Generic Existence of Completely Revealing Equilibria for Economies with Uncertainty when Prices Convey Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1173-99, September.
- Carlos Hervés-Beloso & Emma Moreno-García & Nicholas Yannelis, 2005. "Characterization and incentive compatibility of Walrasian expectations equilibrium in infinite dimensional commodity spaces," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 361-381, 08.
- Chiara Donnini & Maria Gabriella Graziano & Maria Laura Pesce, 2010. "Fairness Properties of Constrained Market Equilibria," CSEF Working Papers 245, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Radner, Roy, 1979. "Rational Expectations Equilibrium: Generic Existence and the Information Revealed by Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 655-78, May.
- Panzer, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1974. "A Difficulty in the Concept of Fairness," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 441-43, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.