Decomposition Analysis for a Binary Choice Model
AbstractThis paper introduces a new and simple decomposition method for a binary choice model that is equivalent to the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition analysis for wage differentials. The decomposition method is first developed for a single probit model and later generalized to a simultaneous equations model. Using Taylor expansion, we approximate the differences in the probabilities of choosing option 1 over option 0 between two groups in order to find the effects of the differences in ``each'' individual characteristic and the differences in ``each'' coefficient. We implement this decomposition analysis studying the racial gap in female labor market participation rates. The racial gap of participation rates among women can be almost exclusively explained by the differences in the coefficients.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rutgers University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 200001.
Date of creation: 26 Apr 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248
Phone: (732) 932-7482
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
decomposition analysis; selection bias; labor market participation; probit;
Other versions of this item:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia Goldin, 1990.
"Understanding the Gender Gap: An Economic History of American Women,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gold90-1, May.
- Goldin, Claudia, 1992. "Understanding the Gender Gap: An Economic History of American Women," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072709.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226041162, June.
- Francisco Rivera-Batiz & Myeong-Su Yun & Ira Gang, 2002.
"Economic Strain, Ethnic Concentration and Attitudes Towards Foreigners in the European Union,"
Departmental Working Papers
200214, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Gang, Ira N. & Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2002. "Economic Strain, Ethnic Concentration and Attitudes Towards Foreigners in the European Union," IZA Discussion Papers 578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 2004.
"Decomposing differences in the first moment,"
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 275-280, February.
- Puhani, Patrick A, 2001.
"Wage Rigidities in Western Germany: Microeconometric Evidence from the 1990s,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick A. Puhani, 2002. "Wage Rigidities in Western Germany? Microeconometric Evidence from the 1990s," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D3-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 2001. "Wage Rigidities in Western Germany? Microeconometric Evidence from the 1990s," IZA Discussion Papers 334, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Puhani, Patrick A., 2001. "Wage rigidities in Western Germany? Microeconometric evidence from the 1990s," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-36, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 2001. "Wage Rigidities in Western Germany? Microeconometric Evidence from the 1990s," IRISS Working Paper Series 2001-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Bertranou, Fabio & Casanova, Luis & Sarabia, Marianela, 2013. "How, Why and in What Sectors Employment Informality Decreased in Argentina from 2003 to 2012," MPRA Paper 47467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benhura, Miracle, 2007. "Determinants of South African Women’s Labour Force Participation, 1995–2004," IZA Discussion Papers 3119, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.