The role of the psychological contract in retention management: Confronting HR-managers’ and employees’ views on retention factors and the relationship with employees’ intentions to stay
AbstractThis article examines HR managers’ and employees’ views on the factors affecting employee retention. This is done by integrating findings from the literature on retention management with the theoretical framework of the psychological contract. In a first study a sample of HR managers from a diverse group of public and private firms described the factors they believed to affect employee retention and the retention practices set up in their organization. In a second study, a large and diverse sample of employees reported on the importance attached to five types of employer inducements commonly regarded as retention factors. They also evaluated their employers’ delivery of these inducements and provided information on their loyalty, intentions to stay and job search behaviors. The results of both studies are discussed and implications for HR managers are highlighted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 06/374.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- De Vos, Ans & Meganck, Annelies & Buyens, Dirk, 2005. "The role of the psychological contract in retention management: Confronting HR-managers’ and employees’ views on retention factors and the relationship with employees’ intentions to stay," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2005-5, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-06-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CBE-2006-06-10 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2006-06-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ans De Vos & Dirk Buyens & Ren Schalk, 2003.
"Psychological contract development during organizational socialization: adaptation to reality and the role of reciprocity,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2003-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- A. De Vos & D. Buyens & R. Schalk, 2003. "Psychological Contract Development during Organizational Socialization: Adaptation to Reality and the Role of Reciprocity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/194, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.