Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia
AbstractThe debt crisis in several member states of the euro area has raised doubts on the viability of European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and the future of the euro. While the launch of the euro in 1999 stirred a lot of interest in regional monetary integration and even monetary unification in various parts of the world, including East Asia, the current crisis has had the opposite effect, even raising expectations of a break-up of the euro area. Indeed, the crisis has highlighted the problems and tensions that will inevitably arise within a monetary union when imbalances build up and become unsustainable. This note discusses the causes of the current European crisis and the challenges that EMU countries face in solving it. Based on this analysis, it derives five lessons for regional financial and monetary cooperation and integration in East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 347.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 23 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
european crisis; euro area; european monetary union; financial integration; east asia;
Other versions of this item:
- Ulrich Volz, 2013. "Lessons of the European crisis for regional monetary and financial integration in East Asia," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 355-376, December.
- Ulrich Volz, 2012. "Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia," Finance Working Papers 23189, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-02-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2012-02-27 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-02-27 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2012-02-27 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volz, Ulrich, 2006. "On the feasibility of a regional exchange rate system for East Asia: Lessons of the 1992/1993 EMS crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1107-1127, December.
- Lars Jonung, 2009. "The Swedish model for resolving the banking crisis of 1991 - 93. Seven reasons why it was successful," European Economy - Economic Papers 360, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Fitz Gerald, John & Kearney, Ide, 2011. "Irish Government Debt and Implied Debt Dynamics: 2011-2015," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), issue 3-Autumn.
- Fujii, Mariko & Kawai, Masahiro, 2010. "Lessons from Japan's Banking Crisis, 1991–2005," ADBI Working Papers 222, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012.
"A Tale of Three Countries: Recovery after Banking Crises,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1202, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "A tale of three countries: recovery after banking crises," Policy Contributions 663, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "A Tale of Three Countries: Recovery after Banking Crises," Working Papers 1106, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 2008.
"Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6996, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen Reinhart & Vincent Reinhart, 2009. "Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2008, pages 9-62 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2008. "Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present," NBER Working Papers 14321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKay Julie & Volz Ulrich & Wölfinger Regine, 2011. "Regional Financing Arrangements and the Stability of the International Monetary System," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, August.
- C. Randall Henning, 2002.
"East Asian Financial Cooperation,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa68.
- C. Randall Henning, 2002. "East Asian Financial Cooperation," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa68, November.
- Ulrich Volz, 2010. "Prospects for Monetary Cooperation and Integration in East Asia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262013991, December.
- Plummer, Michael, 2010.
"Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation: Stakes and Options for Asia,"
ADBI Working Papers
201, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010. "Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation: Stakes and Options for Asia," Working Papers id:3008, eSocialSciences.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010. "Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation : Stakes and Options for Asia," Finance Working Papers 22017, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Eiji Ogawa & Takatoshi Ito, 2000.
"On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement,"
NBER Working Papers
8002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Ito, Takatoshi, 2002. "On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 317-334, September.
- Javier Suarez, 2010.
"The Spanish Crisis: Background And Policy Challenges,"
- Suarez, Javier, 2010. "The Spanish Crisis: Background and Policy Challenges," CEPR Discussion Papers 7909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1998. "Capital Flows and Capital-Market Crises: The Simple Economics of Sudden Stops," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 35-54, November.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Sussangkarn, Chalongphob, 2010. "The Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralization: Origin, Development and Outlook," ADBI Working Papers 230, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Anat Admati & Martin Hellwig, 2013. "The Bankers' New Clothes: What's Wrong with Banking and What to Do about It," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 9929.
- Chalongphob Sussangkarn, 2010. "The Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralization : Origin, Development and Outlook," Governance Working Papers 22821, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Masahiro Kawai & Mariko Fujii, 2010. "Lessons from Japan’s Banking Crisis," Working Papers id:2992, eSocialSciences.
- Ioana Laura Valeanu, 2012. "Challenges Of The Economic And Monetary Union In The Context Of The Economic Crisis," CES Working Papers, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 4, pages 866-877, December.
- Beniamino Moro, 2013. "The Run On Repo and the Liquidity Shortage Problems of the Current Global Financial Crisis: Europe vs. The US," Ekonomi-tek - International Economics Journal, Turkish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 41-77, January.
- Sebastian Dullien & Barbara Fritz & Laurissa MÃ¼hlich, 2013. "Regional Monetary Cooperation: Lessons from the Euro Crisis for Developing Areas?," World Economic Review, World Economics Association, vol. 2013(2), pages 1, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.