The Spanish Crisis: Background and Policy Challenges
AbstractThis paper reviews the background and key policy challenges of the current situation of the Spanish economy. It describes the strengths and weaknesses of Spain’s recent long growth cycle, the real and financial imbalances accumulated towards its end, and the troubles faced at the current stage. Particular attention is paid to the developments in private and public sector finances and, specifically, to their implications for the banking sector. Attention is also paid to the political-economy background, especially in regards to the undertaking of structural reforms. It is argued that recent external pressure, partly initiated by unjustified catastrophic expectations about Spain, provides an opportunity for accelerating the reforms needed to resume strong growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 7909.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Javier Suarez, 2010. "The Spanish Crisis: Background And Policy Challenges," Working Papers wp2010_1005, CEMFI.
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clara I. Gonzalez & José Ignacio Conde Ruiz & Michele Boldrin, 2009.
"Immigration and Social Security in Spain,"
- Samuel Bentolila & Juan Jose Dolado & Juan F. Jimeno, 2008. "Two-tier Employment Protection Reforms: The Spanish Experience," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(4), pages 49-56, December.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2010.
"El nuevo sistema de financiación regional: Un análisis crítico y proyecciones para 2009,"
- Angel de la Fuente, 2010. "El nuevo sistema de financiación regional: Un análisis crítico y proyecciones para 2009," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 195(4), pages 91-138, december.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2010. "El nuevo sistema de financiación regional: Un análisis crítico y proyecciones para 2009," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 820.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Sara Rica & Amaia Iza, 2005. "Career Planning in Spain: Do Fixed-term Contracts Delay Marriage and Parenthood?," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 49-73, November.
- Juan José Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Marcel Jansen, 2010. "El conflicto entre la demanda de flexibilidad laboral y la resistencia a la reforma del mercado de trabajo en España," Economic Reports 06-2010, FEDEA.
- Andrés Fuentes, 2009. "Raising Education Outcomes in Spain," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 666, OECD Publishing.
- Ulrich Volz, 2013.
"Lessons of the European crisis for regional monetary and financial integration in East Asia,"
Asia Europe Journal,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 355-376, December.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2012. "Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 347, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ulrich Volz, 2012. "Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia," Finance Working Papers 23189, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Costain, James & de Blas, Beatriz, 2012. "The role of fiscal delegation in a monetary union: a survey of the political economy issues," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2012/11, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, 2011. "Why the current account may matter in a monetary union. Lesson from the financial crisis in the Euro area," Working Papers 426, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Spaventa, Luigi, 2010. "Why the current account may matter in a monetary union: Lessons from the financial crisis in the Euro area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8008, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bleich, Dirk & Fendel, Ralf, 2012. "Monetary Policy Conditions in Spain Before and After the Changeover to the Euro: A Taylor Rule Based Assessment," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 8(1).
- Tobias Knedlik & Gregor Von Schweinitz, 2012.
"Macroeconomic Imbalances as Indicators for Debt Crises in Europe,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(5), pages 726-745, 09.
- Tobias Knedlik & Gregor von Schweinitz, 2011. "Macroeconomic Imbalances as Indicators for Debt Crises in Europe," IWH Discussion Papers 12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Agnieszka Gehringer, 2013.
"Another look at the determinants of current account imbalances in the European Union: An empirical assessment,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Gehringer, Agnieszka, 2012. "Another look at the determinants of current account imbalances in the European Union: An empirical assessment," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 142, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Beniamino Moro, 2013. "The Run On Repo and the Liquidity Shortage Problems of the Current Global Financial Crisis: Europe vs. The US," Ekonomi-tek - International Economics Journal, Turkish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 41-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.