Multivariate–Based Granger Causality between Financial Deepening and Poverty: The Case of Pakistan
AbstractThis paper deals with the empirical investigation of causal relationship between financial deepening, economic growth and poverty reduction using quarter frequency data in case of Pakistan over the period of 1972-2011. We applied the ARDL bounds testing approach by incorporating structural breaks stemming in the series. The order of integration of the variables is examined by applying structural break unit root test. Our empirical exercise indicated that long run relationship between financial deepening, economic growth and poverty reduction exists in case of Pakistan. The causality analysis implied that causality results are sensitive with the use of proxy for poverty reduction as well as methodology to be applied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50834.
Date of creation: 14 Oct 2013
Date of revision: 20 Oct 2013
Financial deepening; economic growth; poverty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2013-11-02 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2013-11-02 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2012.
"Does trade openness affect long run growth? Cointegration, causality and forecast error variance decomposition tests for Pakistan,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2325-2339.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2012. "Does Trade Openness Affect Long Run Growth? Cointegration, Causality and Forecast Error Variance Decomposition Tests for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37391, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Mar 2012.
- Muhammad Shahbaz, 2010. "Income inequality-economic growth and non-linearity: a case of Pakistan," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(8), pages 613-636, July.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Faridul Islam, 2011.
"Financial Development And Income Inequality In Pakistan: An Application Of Ardl Approach,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 35-58, March.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Islam, Faridul, 2011. "Financial development and income inequality in Pakistan: An application of ARDL approach," MPRA Paper 28222, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kangni KPODAR & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY, 2006.
"Financial Development, Financial Instability and Poverty,"
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Kangni Kpodar, 2005. "Financial Development, Financial Instability and Poverty," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-09, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Kangni KPODAR, 2004. "Développement financier, instabilité financière et réduction de la pauvreté," Working Papers 200429, CERDI.
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Kangni Kpodar, 2005. "Financial Development, Financial Instability and Poverty," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Kangni Kpodar, 2011. "Financial Development, Financial Instability and Poverty," Working Papers halshs-00564573, HAL.
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Kangni Kpodar, 2008. "Financial Development and Poverty Reduction," IMF Working Papers 08/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Colin Kirkpatrick, 2000. "Financial Development, Economic Growth, and Poverty Reduction," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 363-388.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Phouphet Kyophilavong & Nasim Sydee, 2012. "The Casual Nexus of Banking Sector Development and Poverty Reduction in Bangladesh," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 304-311.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Kelly, Roger & Mavrotas, George, 2003. "Financial Sector Development - Futile or Fruitful? An Examination of the Determinants of Savings in Sri Lanka," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Uddin, Gazi Salah & Sjö, Bo & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013.
"The Causal Nexus between Financial Development and Economic Growth in Kenya,"
49262, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Aug 2013.
- Uddin, Gazi Salah & Sjö, Bo & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013. "The causal nexus between financial development and economic growth in Kenya," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 701-707.
- Geda, Alemayehu & Shimeles, Abebe & Zerfu, Daniel, 2006. "Finance and Poverty in Ethiopia: A Household Level Analysis," Working Paper Series RP2006/51, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2006.
"Structural vector autoregressive analysis for cointegrated variables,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2005. "Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis for Cointegrated Variables," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/02, European University Institute.
- Nicholas M. Odhiambo, 2010. "Is financial development a spur to poverty reduction? Kenya's experience," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 343-353, September.
- Jalilian, Hossein & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2002. "Financial Development and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 97-108, April.
- Nicholas M. Odhiambo, 2010. "Financial deepening and poverty reduction in Zambia: an empirical investigation," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 41-53, January.
- Quartey, Peter, 2005. "Financial Sector Development, Savings Mobilization and Poverty Reduction in Ghana," Working Paper Series RP2005/71, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- M Mafizur Rahman & M Salahuddin, 2010. "The determinants of economic growth in Pakistan: Does stock market development play a major role?," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 15(2), pages 69-86, September.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2007.
"Finance, inequality and the poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 27-49, March.
- Muhammad Arshad Khan & Muhammad Abdul Qayyum, 2007.
"Trade, Financial and Growth Nexus in Pakistan,"
Economic Analysis Working Papers (2002-2010). Atlantic Review of Economics (2011-2013),
Colexio de Economistas de A Coruña, Spain and Fundación Una Galicia Moderna, vol. 6, pages 1-24, December.
- Oriana Bandiera & Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000.
"Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Saving?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 239-263, May.
- Mohammad Shahbaz, 2009. "A Reassessment of Finance-Growth Nexus for Pakistan: Under the Investigation of FMOLS and DOLS Techniques," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 65-80, January.
- Nicholas Apergis & Ioannis Filippidis & Claire Economidou, 2007. "Financial Deepening and Economic Growth Linkages: A Panel Data Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 179-198, April.
- Takeshi Inoue & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2012. "How has financial deepening affected poverty reduction in India? Empirical analysis using state-level panel data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 395-408, March.
- Hossein Jalilian & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005. "Does Financial Development Contribute to Poverty Reduction?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 636-656.
- Odhiambo, Nicholas M., 2009. "Finance-growth-poverty nexus in South Africa: A dynamic causality linkage," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 320-325, March.
- Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye, 2011. "Financial development index and economic growth: empirical evidence from India," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 12(2), pages 98-111, February.
- Uddin, Gazi Salah & Shahbaz, Muhammad & AROURI, Mohamed El Hedi, 2013.
"Financial Development and Poverty Reduction Nexus:A Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Bangladesh,"
49264, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Aug 2013.
- Uddin, Gazi Salah & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Arouri, Mohamed & Teulon, Frédéric, 2014. "Financial development and poverty reduction nexus: A cointegration and causality analysis in Bangladesh," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 405-412.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.