A Note on Modelling Dynamics in Happiness Estimations
AbstractThis short note discusses two alternative ways to model dynamics in happiness regressions. A explained, this may be important when standard fixed effects estimates have serial correlation in the residuals, but is also potentially useful when serial correlation is not a problem for providing new insights in the happiness of economics area. The note discusses modelling dynamics two ways the note discusses are via a lagged dependent variable, and via an AR(1) process. The usefulness and statistical appropriateness of each is discussed with reference to happiness. Finally, a flow chart is provided summarising key decisions regarding the choice regarding, and potential necessity of, modelling dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49364.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Happiness; Dynamics; Lagged Dependent Variable; AR(1) process; Estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-08-31 (Econometrics)
- NEP-HAP-2013-08-31 (Economics of Happiness)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J. & Stewart-Brown, Sarah, 2012.
"Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
996, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- David Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2013. "Is Psychological Well-Being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 114(3), pages 785-801, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2012. "Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," NBER Working Papers 18469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Beck, Nathaniel & Katz, Jonathan N., . "Modeling dynamics in time-series-cross-section political economy data," Working Papers 1304, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012.
"Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction,"
46926, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction," MPRA Paper 43259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- Blanchflower, David G; Oswald, Andrew, 2011.
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
39, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "A Happiness Test of Human Capital Theory," MPRA Paper 43496, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bichaka Fayissa & Shah Danyal & J.S. Butler, 2011. "The Impact of Education on Health Status: Evidence from Longitudinal Survey Data," Working Papers 201101, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:cge:warwcg:39 is not listed on IDEAS
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "Dynamic Analysis and the Economics of Happiness: Rationale, Results and Rules," MPRA Paper 43248, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Piper, Alan T., 2014. "Sliding down the U-shape? An investigation of the age-well-being relationship, with a focus on young adults," MPRA Paper 55819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Piper, Alan T., 2013. "Happiness, Dynamics and Adaptation," MPRA Paper 52342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.