AbstractThis paper describes the findings from a new, and intrinsically interdisciplinary, literature on happiness and human well-being. The paper focuses on international evidence. We report the patterns in modern data; we discuss what has been persuasively established and what has not; we suggest paths for future research. Looking ahead, our instinct is that this social-science research avenue will gradually merge with a related literature -- from the medical, epidemiological, and biological sciences -- on biomarkers and health. Nevertheless, we expect that intellectual convergence to happen slowly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 16668.
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Note: HE LS
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-01-16 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HAP-2011-01-16 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HPE-2011-01-16 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2011-01-16 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-SOC-2011-01-16 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Di Tella, R. & MacCulloch, R.J.: Oswald, A.J., 1997.
"The Macroeconomics of Happiness,"
19, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert & Oswald, Andrew J., 1999. "The macroeconomics of happiness," ZEI Working Papers B 03-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert J. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001. "The Macroeconomics of Happiness," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 615, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 2008.
"Gross national happiness as an answer to the Easterlin Paradox?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 22-42, April.
- Rafael Di Tella & Robert MacCulloch, 2005. "Gross National Happiness as an Answer to the Easterlin Paradox?," Macroeconomics 0504027, EconWPA.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001.
"Preferences over inflation and unemployment: Evidence from surveys of happiness,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 03-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Robert J. MacCulloch & Rafael Di Tella & Andrew J. Oswald, 2001. "Preferences over Inflation and Unemployment: Evidence from Surveys of Happiness," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 335-341, March.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Clark and Oswald NBER: International Happiness
by Liam Delaney in Geary Behaviour Centre on 2011-03-02 19:44:00
- International Happiness
by David Stern in Stochastic Trend on 2013-02-17 03:11:00
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2012.
"Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?,"
NBER Working Papers
18469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2013. "Is Psychological Well-Being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 114(3), pages 785-801, December.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J. & Stewart-Brown, Sarah, 2012. "Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 996, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Peichl & Nico Pestel, 2011.
"Multidimensional Well-Being at the Top: Evidence for Germany,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
425, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Andreas Peichl & Nico Pestel, 2013. "Multidimensional Well‐Being at the Top: Evidence for Germany," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 34, pages 355-371, 09.
- Peichl, Andreas & Pestel, Nico, 2011. "Multidimensional Well-Being at the Top: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 6170, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alex Bryson & George MacKerron, 2013.
"Are You Happy While You Work?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1187, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alex Bryson & George MacKerron, 2013. "Are You Happy While You Work?," Working Paper Series 5713, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Alex Bryson & George MacKerron, 2013. "Are you happy while you work?," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 390, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alex Bryson & George MacKerron, 2013. "Are you happy while you work?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 48924, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pierre Régibeau & Katharine Rockett, 2013.
"Economic analysis of resilience: A framework for local policy response based on new case studies,"
Journal of Innovation Economics,
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 107-147.
- Regibeau, Pierre & Rockett, Katharine, 2011. "Economic analysis of resilience: a framework for local policy response based on new case studies," MPRA Paper 38548, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Apr 2012.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "A Happiness Test of Human Capital Theory," MPRA Paper 43496, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graafland, J.J. & Compen, B., 2012. "Economic Freedom and Life Satisfaction: A Cross Country Analysis," Discussion Paper 2012-038, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- David Vázquez Guzman, 2012. "A comparative study of well-being for elders in Mexico and England," Estudios Regionales en EconomÃa, PoblaciÃ³n y Desarrollo. Cuadernos de trabajo de la Universidad AutÃ³noma de Ciudad JuÃ¡rez. 9, Cuerpo Académico 41 de la Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, revised 09 Dec 2012.
- Piper, Alan, 2013. "A Note on Modelling Dynamics in Happiness Estimations," MPRA Paper 49364, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.