Medidas de concentración y estabilidad de mercado. Una aplicación para Excel
[Market concentration and market stability measures. An application for Excel]
AbstractIn this paper we attempt to make a compilation of several concentration and stability indexes used in the literature since 1945, showing that while the Hirschman-Herfindahl index and concentration ratio are most commonly used, there are also alternative measures. Likewise, we present two applications in Excel to calculate the different indexes that were identified in the literature. En este documento se pretende elaborar una compilación de diversos índices de concentración y estabilidad utilizados en la literatura desde 1945, mostrando que si bien el índice de Hirschman-Herfindhal y el ratio de concentración han sido los más utilizados en diversos análisis de Organización Industrial, existen medidas alternativas. En segunda medida, se presentan dos aplicaciones en Excel para el cálculo de los distintos índices encontrados en la literatura.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47615.
Date of creation: 31 May 2013
Date of revision:
measures of concentration; market concentration; concentration indexes; stability indexes; Excel.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A22 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Undergraduate
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
- C88 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Other Computer Software
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melnik, Arie & Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2008. "Assessing market dominance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 63-72, October.
- Hrazdil, Karel & Zhang, Ray, 2012. "The importance of industry classification in estimating concentration ratios," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 224-227.
- Gideon Rosenbluth, 1957. "Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries, 1948," NBER Chapters, in: Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries, pages 22-58 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gideon Rosenbluth, 1957. "Appendices to "Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries"," NBER Chapters, in: Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries, pages 111-152 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gideon Rosenbluth, 1957. "Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number rose57-1, December.
- Curry, B & George, K D, 1983. "Industrial Concentration: A Survey," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 203-55, March.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Gideon Rosenbluth, 1957. "Introduction to "Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries"," NBER Chapters, in: Concentration in Canadian Manufacturing Industries, pages 3-21 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Juan Luis Jiménez & Javier Campos, 2003. "Concentración agregada y desigualdad entre empresas: una comparación internacional," Economic Analysis Working Papers (EAWP), Colexio de Economistas de A Coruña, Spain and Fundación Una Galicia Moderna, vol. 2, pages 1-28, February.
- Hoxha, Indrit, 2013. "The market structure of the banking sector and financially dependent manufacturing sectors," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 432-444.
- Ashiq Ali & Sandy Klasa & Eric Yeung, 2009. "The Limitations of Industry Concentration Measures Constructed with Compustat Data: Implications for Finance Research," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(10), pages 3839-3871, October.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Garza-García, Jesús G. & Girardone, Claudia, 2012. "Competition, efficiency and interest rate margins in Latin American banking," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 93-103.
- Paul Latreille & James Mackley, 2011. "Using Excel to Illustrate Hannah and Kay's Concentration Axioms," International Review of Economic Education, Economics Network, University of Bristol, vol. 10(1), pages 117-127.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.