Using Excel to Illustrate Hannah and Kay's Concentration Axioms
AbstractMost courses in industrial economics/industrial organisation cover the measurement of industry concentration. In a classic paper Hannah and Kay (1977) propose a set of desirable criteria against which any of the numerous concentration measures may be judged. We describe how these criteria can be illustrated for students for several of the most popular measures using an Excel spreadsheet and an exercise sheet developed by the authors and freely available from the HEA Economics Network website.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economics Network, University of Bristol in its journal International Review of Economics Education.
Volume (Year): 10 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Bristol, BS8 1HH, United Kingdom
Fax: +44(0)117 331 4396
Web page: http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/iree
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saving, Thomas R, 1970. "Concentration Ratios and the Degree of Monopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(1), pages 139-46, February.
- Curry, B & George, K D, 1983. "Industrial Concentration: A Survey," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 203-55, March.
- John C. Hause, 1977. "The Measurement of Concentrated Industrial Structure and the Size Distribution of Firms," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 1, pages 73-107 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marfels, Christian, 1971. "Absolute and Relative Measures of Concentration Reconsidered," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 753-66.
- Lis-Gutiérrez, Jenny-Paola, 2013.
"Medidas de concentración y estabilidad de mercado. Una aplicación para Excel
[Market concentration and market stability measures. An application for Excel]," MPRA Paper 47615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Poulter).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.