Una aproximación metodológica al Balance Estructural: Aplicación a Ecuador
[A Methodological Approach to Structural Balance: Application to Ecuador]
AbstractSince the crisis experienced in recent years and its close relationship with the state of the public finances of countries, fiscal sustainability and its impact on the real economy, there is a growing interest regarding the study and empirical applications related to the generation of areas to ensure fiscal health of nations. With this background, the present work tries to develop a methodology top down for estimating the structural balance of Ecuador´s NFPS from the compilation of fiscal statistics in the country for the quarterly period: 2000 I – 2012 II. Adjustments are made to the non – oil revenues over the business cycle, current expenditure and oil revenues regarding the divergence in the price of WTI crude versus medium term. Then it comes to assessing the causal hypothesis of the position of the primary outcomes observed with the variation of WTI crude and explanatory relation is observed. So trough the implementation of structural balance in the country the political authorities could achieve three primary objectives: to establish fiscal rules consistent with potential output of the economy, to assess the will of the fiscal policymaker and ultimately ensure sustainability prosecutor of the Ecuadorian economy in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45064.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Statistic Estimation; Public Finances; Fiscal Policy; Deficit; Structural Balance.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- E69 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Other
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro & Mauricio Villafuerte & Thomas Baunsgaard & Christine J. Richmond, 2012. "Fiscal Frameworks for Resource Rich Developing Countries," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Claude Giorno & Pete Richardson & Deborah Roseveare & Paul van den Noord, 1995. "Estimating Potential Output, Output Gaps and Structural Budget Balances," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 152, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.