The european redemption fund: a comparison of two proposals
AbstractThis paper proposes a redemption fund for the euro zone countries alternative to that recently proposed by Doluca et al. (2012) – The European Redemption Pact: an Illustrative Guide, GCEE Working Paper No.2, February – and in coherence with a previous proposal of one of the author. In doing so, we envisage a country-specific amortization scheme in which the sovereign debts exceeding the 60% ceiling of GDP is redeemed in 30 years. The paper shows that our redemption scheme is cheaper and less constraining than that proposed by Doluca et al. (2012). Also, our paper shows that fiscal “brakes” – such as those required by the Fiscal Compact – are not necessary for the complete redemption of the Fund.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42874.
Date of creation: 24 Oct 2012
Date of revision: 26 Nov 2012
Sovereign debt crisis; Public debt; Amortization schedule; European redemption fund;
Other versions of this item:
- Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo & Visco, Vincenzo, 2012. "The European Redemption Fund: A Comparison of Two Proposals," MPRA Paper 42232, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
BIS Working Papers
363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," Working Paper Series WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Hasan Doluca & Malte Hübner & Dominik Rumpf & Benjamin Weigert, 2012. "The European Redemption Pact: Implementation and macroeconomic effects," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 230-239, July.
- Doluca, Hasan & Hübner, Malte & Rumpf, Dominik & Weigert, Benjamin, 2012.
"The European Redemption Pact: An illustrative guide,"
02/2012, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Hasan Doluca & Malte Hübner & Dominik Rumpf & Benjamin Weigert, 2013. "The European Redemption Pact. An illustrative guide," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 341-367.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.