The Blue Bond Proposal
AbstractSoaring debt levels and the crisis in Greece has sharpened the focus on fiscal sustainability among eurozone members. The European Union has to tackle high debt levels in vulnerable states which are compounded by a hike in risk premiums on government bonds leading to a debt trap, while designing ways to efficiently finance debt. Furthermore, European solidarity with weaker states should not undermine incentives for individual members to pursue fiscally sustainable policies. This Policy Brief proposes a Blue Bond to resolve these challenges. The authors, Bruegel Non-resident Fellow Jakob von WeizsÃ¤cker and Jacques Delpla from Conseil d'Analyse Ã?conomique, Paris, explain the economics behind their proposal, its institutional underpinnings and the implication of it on various participating countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Briefs with number 403.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Dette bleue ou dette rouge ? La solution pour mutualiser la dette
by email@example.com (Le Captain') in Captain Economics on 2012-07-06 08:14:53
- Jörg Bibow, 2013. "Lost at Sea:The Euro Needs a Euro Treasury," FMG Special Papers, Financial Markets Group sp227, Financial Markets Group.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2011. "Governance of a Fragile Eurozone," CEPS Papers, Centre for European Policy Studies 5523, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Mathieu, Catherine & Sterdyniak, Henri, 2011.
"Finances publiques, sorties de crise..,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University
123456789/12010, Paris Dauphine University.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010.
"Fiscal Federalism in Crisis: Lessons for Europe from the US,"
Working Papers, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest
1002, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest, revised 10 Sep 2010.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010. "Fiscal federalism in crisis: lessons for Europe from the US," Policy Contributions, Bruegel 420, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010. "Fiscal Federalism in Crisis: Lessons for Europe from the US," IEHAS Discussion Papers, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences 1021, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Beetsma, Roel & Mavromatis, Konstantinos, 2012.
"An Analysis of Eurobonds,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
9244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel & Mavromatis, Kostas, 2014. "An analysis of eurobonds," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 91-111.
- Kopf, Christian, 2011. "Restoring financial stability in the euro area," CEPS Papers, Centre for European Policy Studies 4292, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Keuschnigg, Christian, 2012. "Welche Finanz- und Wirtschaftspolitik braucht Europa?," Economics Working Paper Series, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science 1201, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Pisani-Ferry, Jean, 2013. "The known unknowns and unknown unknowns of European Monetary Union," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 6-14.
- Luca Barbone & Grzegorz Poniatowski, 2013. "Post-Crisis Lesson for EMU Governance from the Principal-Agent Approach," CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research 0457, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Peirce, Fabrizia & Micossi, Stefano & Carmassi, Jacopo, 2011. "On the Tasks of the European Stability Mechanism," CEPS Papers, Centre for European Policy Studies 4262, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Gómez-Puig, Marta & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simón, 2013. "Granger-causality in peripheral EMU public debt markets: A dynamic approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4627-4649.
- Fahrholz, Christian & Wójcik, Cezary, 2013.
"The Eurozone needs exit rules,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4665-4674.
- Jörg Bibow, 2013. "Lost at Sea: The Euro Needs a Euro Treasury," IMK Studies, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute 35-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.