The European Redemption Pact. An illustrative guide
AbstractThe European Redemption Pact (ERP), a proposal of the German Council of Economic Experts, describes an exit strategy from the debt crisis which currently plagues the euro area. The pact includes a binding commitment of all participating countries to bring public debt ratios below the reference value of 60% within the next 20 to 25 years. To ensure that this objective can be reached with realistic primary balances, participating countries can transfer their excessive debt exceeding the 60% threshold at a certain date, into a redemption fund for which participating member countries are jointly and severally liable. In this technical paper, we describe in detail one possible way of implementing the ERP and the primary balances each country would need to achieve under the proposal. JEL Classification: E40, E43, E44, E47, H62, H63, H68, H77.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): N° 127 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
European Redemption Pact; European debt crisis;
Other versions of this item:
- Doluca, Hasan & Hübner, Malte & Rumpf, Dominik & Weigert, Benjamin, 2012. "The European Redemption Pact: An illustrative guide," Working Papers 02/2012, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E47 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- H68 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Forecasts of Budgets, Deficits, and Debt
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2012.
"Do we need fiscal rules?,"
Sciences Po publications
2012-08, Sciences Po.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2012.
"Faut-il des règles de politique budgétaire ?,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(7), pages 299-346.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2012. "Faut-il des règles de politique budgétaire ?," Sciences Po publications 2012-07, Sciences Po.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Catherine Mathieu, 2012. "Faut-il des règles de politiques budgétaires ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eo6779thqgm, Sciences Po.
- Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2012. "Faut-il des règles de politique budgétaire," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2012-07, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo & Visco, Vincenzo, 2012.
"The european redemption fund: a comparison of two proposals,"
42874, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Nov 2012.
- Parello Carmelo Pierpaolo & Visco Vincenzo, 2012. "The European Redemption Fund: A Comparison of Two Proposals," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 273-306.
- Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo & Visco, Vincenzo, 2012. "The European Redemption Fund: A Comparison of Two Proposals," MPRA Paper 42232, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:pra:mprapa:42873 is not listed on IDEAS
- André Grjebine, 2013. "L’Eurosystème: un mécanisme de transferts en faveur des pays déficitaires ? Le débat," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eo6779thqgm, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eo6779thqgm5r489maqa474kg is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eo6779thqgm5r489m6u1i2a0o is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.