Vickrey Auctions with Sequential and Costly Participation
AbstractThis paper investigates the cutoff strategies and the effects of sequential and costly participation in Vickrey auctions with independent private value settings. It demonstrates a Stackelberg version of participation decision in auctions, while simultaneous participation can be regarded as a Cournot version in auctions. Buyers adopt cut-off participation strategies. In two-buyer case, the cutoff strategy equilibrium is unique. The follower's critical values are always monotonic in participation cost in both symmetric and asymmetric settings. This is also true for the leader with mild conditions on c.d.fs. We also characterize equilibria in three-buyer and more general n-buyer environments. We then study buyer's preference to be a leader or a follower. Comparison with simultaneous model shows that the driven-out effect is much stronger in our sequential participation model, which implies the simultaneous specification might not be desirable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41203.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Sequential Participation; Participation Cost; Second Price Auction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Jerry & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "Participation constraints in the vickrey auction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 31-36.
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2004.
"Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
tan-04-01-24-10-08-06, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 09 Jun 2006.
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2006. "Equilibria in second price auctions with participation costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 205-219, September.
- Guofu Tan & Okan Yilankaya, 2005. "Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs," IEPR Working Papers 05.7, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Cho, In-Koo & Kreps, David M, 1987.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 179-221, May.
- Lu, Jingfeng, 2006. "Endogenous entry and auctions design with private participation costs," MPRA Paper 934, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Campbell, Colin M., 1998. "Coordination in Auctions with Entry," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 425-450, October.
- Chakraborty, Indranil & Kosmopoulou, Georgia, 2001. "Auctions with endogenous entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 195-200, August.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions with entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 343-347.
- Levin, Dan & Smith, James L, 1994. "Equilibrium in Auctions with Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-99, June.
- Harstad, Ronald M. & Kagel, John H. & Levin, Dan, 1990. "Equilibrium bid functions for auctions with an uncertain number of bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 35-40, May.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "First Mover and Second Mover Advantages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 649-53, October.
- Che, XiaoGang & Lee, Peter & Yang, Yibai, 2013.
"The impact of resale on entry in second price auctions,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 163-168.
- Che, XiaoGang & Lee, Peter & Yang, Yibai, 2013. "The Impact of Resale on Entry in Second Price Auctions," Working Papers 2013-6, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Che, XiaoGang & Lee, Peter & Yang, Yibai, 2013. "The Impact of Resale on Entry in Second Price Auctions," Working Papers 2013-07, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.