Rural non-farm sector in Pakistan
AbstractAdmittedly the rural non-farm sector has immense contribution to the growth, employment generation and poverty alleviation in the developing world, adequate assessment of the size, composition and structure of activities of this segment of the economy is not made in general, Pakistan being no exception. Partly the data limitations explain the relative neglect of research endeavours to focus upon this important sector,part of the reason lies in the intricate and complex interaction of RNF with the rest of the economy thereby defying efforts to delineate and subject it to a competent and rigorous analysis. In this study an attempt is made to provide some ideas regarding the size and structure of RNF sector in Pakistan, the nature of interlinkages between this sector and rest of the economy in particular the agriculture. Also an examination, of the nature of influences different policies have had on the relative size and the nexus between this sector and the rest of the economy, is attempted. The findings of the study are reported in five Chapters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38152.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Rural; Non-Farm Sector; Pakistan; Size & Structure of Rural Non- Farm sector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohammad, Irfan & Amjad, Rashid, 1994. "Poverty in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Irfan & G. M. Arif & Syed Mubashir Ali & Hina Nazli, 1999. "The Structure of Informal Credit Market in Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 1999:168, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- G.M. Arif & Sabiha Ibrahim, 1998. "The Process of Urbanisation in Pakistan, 1951–81," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 507-522.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
- A. R. Kemal & Zafar Mahmood, 1998. "Characteristics of the Workers in the Urban InformalSector of Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 1998:160, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- G.M. Arif & M. Irfan, 1997. "Return Migration and Occupational Change: The Case of Pakistani Migrants Returned from the Middle East," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 1-37.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.