Determinants of Urban Poverty: The Case of Medium Sized City in Pakistan
AbstractUrban poverty, which is distinct from rural poverty due to demographic, economic and political aspects remain hitherto unexplored, at the city level in Pakistan. We have examined the determinants of urban poverty in Sargodha, a medium-size city of Pakistan. The analysis is based on the survey of 330 households. Results suggest that employment in public sector, investment in human capital and access to public amenities reduce poverty while employment in informal sector, greater household size and female dominated households increase poverty. We recommend greater investment in human capital and public amenities as a strategy for poverty alleviation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its series PIDE-Working Papers with number 2010:60.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Urban Poverty; Pakistan;
Other versions of this item:
- Masood Sarwar Awan & Nasir Iqbal, 2010. "Determinants of Urban Poverty : The Case of Medium Sized City in Pakistan," Development Economics Working Papers 22827, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zafar Mueen Nasir & Hina Nazli, 2000. "Education And Earnings In Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2000:177, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Mohammad, Irfan & Amjad, Rashid, 1994. "Poverty in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haroon Jamal, 2005. "In Search of Poverty Predictors: The Case of Urban and Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(1), pages 37-55.
- Sarfraz K. Qureshi & G. M. Arif, 2001. "Profile of Poverty in Pakistan, 1998-99," MIMAP Technical Paper Series 2001:05, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
- Nasir, Zafar Mueen & Iqbal, Nasir, 2010.
"Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?,"
27164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zafar Mueen Nasir & Nasir Iqbal, 2009. "Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 509â521.
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Iqbal, Nasir & Muhammad, Waqas, 2011. "The impact of human capital on urban poverty: The case of Sargodha city," MPRA Paper 31829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.